Large percentage of packets in MCS-1, all other in MCS 12-15

While looking at a customer whose link tests seemed a little under spec, I noticed that the pattern in modulation rates was a little weird.  The first picture is from when I first logged into the SM and refreshed the statistics.  After leaving it for a bit, I took the 2nd screenshot.  Any idea what could be causing this MCS-1 modulation?  SNR is 40 dB, RSSI is -59, and I'm a little baffled.  This customer is on a 12 x 2 plan and the link tests have run between 10 and 12.5 x 2, so it's not like they're having any very noticeable issues, but I was just wondering if anyone had an explanation for this.

Hi,

Management traffic is running on MCS1 by default.

Thank you.

1 Like

@Nekomatawrote:

While looking at a customer whose link tests seemed a little under spec, I noticed that the pattern in modulation rates was a little weird.  The first picture is from when I first logged into the SM and refreshed the statistics.  After leaving it for a bit, I took the 2nd screenshot.  Any idea what could be causing this MCS-1 modulation?  SNR is 40 dB, RSSI is -59, and I'm a little baffled.  This customer is on a 12 x 2 plan and the link tests have run between 10 and 12.5 x 2, so it's not like they're having any very noticeable issues, but I was just wondering if anyone had an explanation for this.

you'll always have MCS1 packets counting up, or in 0 if you check that option in the AP.  

its normal management traffic, not a problem with the CPE.    if you see a customer with a large percentage of MCS1 packets, just means they don't use the service that much.      

5 Likes

wrote:

its normal management traffic, not a problem with the CPE.    if you see a customer with a large percentage of MCS1 packets, just means they don't use the service that much.      

I personally enjoy logging into SM's and seeing this. 

1 Like

We are going to change representaion of Mgmt packets on performance page soon.

It is not absolutely correct to calculate percentage of transmitted packets per MCS taking into consideration both Mgmt and Data packets.

Percentage will be calculated on Data packets basis only.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Gotcha, thanks!  I started going through a few more SMs and saw this more frequently, so it's good to know it's normal.