Spectrum analyzer not very helpful

I have a ePMP 1000 AP sitting on a tower right next to a Ubiquiti Rocket 5AC AP.  They are both into 90 degree sectors and are both aiming in the same direction (of different channels).  

I ran the spectrum analyzer on both - thinking I would get about the same picture.

Here is Ubiquiti:

And here is Cambium (from the 5.7 - 5.8 portion - the noisiest):

I'll give you the noise floor is probably more accurate on the Cambium graph but beyond that, it is not very helpful showing the RF spectrum.  I let it run for 30 minutes and it did not really improve.  UBNT (and my own knowledge) show that 5.7 - 5.8 has a number of users at my tower.  I would not get that opinion from the Cambium graph.

Interesting result!  I've always gotten a more honest read from the Cambium analyzer and the M series UBNT analyzer than the UBNT AC version, which usually seems overly optimistic.

What if you narrow the range on the Cambium, does the sprctrum analysis look more accurate?

If you carefully look at the plot points on both SA's for the same given spectrum, you'll find that they are in fact the same. While the Cambium graph isn't nearly as pretty/colorful as the UBNT graph and not as exaggerated, they are showing the same RF landscape, just the ePMP appears to be 'hearing' everything at maybe 10dB less OR 10dB more (it's hard to tell because top UBNT graph shows peaks at -65, and bottom UBNT graph shows peaks at -85, that and you've clipped off the right side of the UBNT graph showing power levels). This could be because of better filtering/shielding on the ePMP radio, slightly different antenna specifications between the UBNT and ePMP antennas, or simply because the two SA's use different code to spit out data for the plots... but again, if you look at them carefully, they're pretty much the same.

I think this will be more apparent if you set both SA's to scan a smaller range of spectrum... e.g. 5700-5850.

2 Likes

Sir, Sorry to ask you there, from this you analyzer which frq is clearer?