Streamline Installs-Site Surveys

What is everyone doing to try to make it a little more easy to do site surveys. Currently I have a small battery that has a built in invertor and I use that to power the radio and then I bring a laptop on the roof with me. Is there anything out there that is a little easier? I really dont like having the laptop with me and would like to minize cabling to a can easily move around with the radio. Looking for it to work with epmp and pmp 450i 900 mhz. 

Thoughts?

Thanks 

We use these - they are a battery POE, with built in WiFi AP/Bridge.

http://www.linktechs.net/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2251&idcategory=0

So, just plug into the SM, connect with any Laptop or Tablet or Phone and you're away.  No cables, no mess, very quick and simple and light.

1 Like

I like that. If I use the cambuim cable can I power up pmp 450i sm? Is the WIFI 2.4 ro 5 GHZ ? I wonder if 2.4 that it will affect the throughput testing results. 

I have one of those cheap lithium ion boost packs from Amazon that’s also designed to power a laptop, so it has a standard barrel jack on the side with selectable voltages up to 19v. I chopped the cord off an old PMP100 poe injector and stuck the barrel jack on the end. It seems to power ePMP and Canopy radios just fine. These packs have a couple usb ports, so you can power a Mikrotik hAP Lite AP from the same battery. It’s also good for boosting your truck too!

They’re all over Amazon for between $50 to $100, building an adapter for the radios can be done by slapping together a few old power adapters just laying around.

1 Like

@pgator17 wrote:

I like that. If I use the cambuim cable can I power up pmp 450i sm? Is the WIFI 2.4 ro 5 GHZ ? I wonder if 2.4 that it will affect the throughput testing results. 

Hi.  I've used these batteries with non-Cambium 24v gear, and with ePMP gear and that's about that.  I don't know about 450 stuff, but anything that runs on 24v should run.

Yes, the WiFi AP that's built in is 2.4Ghz, and that has to affect things somewhat.  However, if you're doing a SM to AP built in Throughput Test, I don't see them degrading performance.  I also don't notice them increasing retransmissions or anything like that either.  Of course - the actual amount of data going from my phone to the SM isn't very much during a site survey and aiming and testing...   so there's not much of the 'air time' used up between my Laptop/Tablet/Phone and the SM....   so it doesn't seem to affect the SM to AP much at all.