Sync ePMP & 450

So we can get ePMP and FSK to co-locate and sync for the most part. We're doing it now at a few sites. ePMP 2k filtering was needed, but at least it works.

We're putting up more and more ePMP APs at smaller sites while still doing 450 at larger sites. Now they're starting to be able to hear each other. So I'm not asking what it will take to sync co-located ePMP and 450. More along the lines of timing that's good enough between non-co-located ePMP and 450. Say a mile or two, or 5 or 8, apart.

Is there a frame calculator that I'm not smart enough to find or something?

Technically Cambium doesn't officially support sync between ePMP and PMP450... I'd suggest using the frame calculators between PMP100 and PMP450 and PMP100 and ePMP to find a figure out settings that might work correctly and go from there.

We are looking at sync between ePMP and PMP 450 as a feature on our development roadmap. How useful would it be for you?

1 Like

Here's another idea, if it's feasible. Make ePMP able to sync with LTE-TDD. That uses 5 and 10 ms. frames, with 10 ms. being the most important, and 1 ms.subframes within it. This would help if Cambium is interested in making ePMP available on 3.55 GHz CBRS, where there will be a lot of LTE (though it is not mandatory and I'm working hard to keep other gear safe there). Even if you don't sync perfectly, it might be enough to improve adjacent channel performance, when near an LTE-TDD base station.

@Alex Marcham wrote:

We are looking at sync between ePMP and PMP 450 as a feature on our development roadmap. How useful would it be for you?

One co-location scenario that I could see would be a 450 cluster and maybe an ePMP 2k on an omni (or one or two sectors) running in the 5.4 band for those really short-range customers. It would be nice to keep both systems in sync. We've had problems at a few sites with very short range SMs hearing both the AP facing towards it and the opposite AP operating on the same frequency.

What I'm more worried about are those small ePMP micro-POPs. We have an existing customer on the edge of a treed neighborhood that has LOS to a core site. Say they're on a 5GHz 450 SM. We upgrade it to uncapped and pop up an ePMP AP to feed a couple of their neighbors with no LOS to the main site. Classic micro-POP scenario of which we have a few dozen. Some being only a mile or two from the core tower with a 450 cluster.

We have about 4 towers that have ePMP on them and the rest of our network is Ubiquiti at the moment.

We're very interested in trying 450i and 450m on a couple sites but in order to do so, we would like to make sure they sync with our ePMP. There are also some very small micro sites under 10 customers that we could either stick with ePMP but we'd want to sync with 450. Or even better, is there a 450i Lite version coming out that might work well for us in this scenario?

Thank you

@Alex Marcham wrote:

I would make use of it. 

We have considered putting up 450 in 2.4 at several sites but all are RF visible to existing ePMP deployments so we have not instead choosing to continue to use the ePMP at new sites.