What to choose - Force110 PTP or PTP450i

Good Morning everyone. Can someone explain when and why choosing between PTP450i and ePMP Force110 PTP??, apart from Cost and Bandwidth capacity. I am trying to find the difference between equipment grade, performance, pros and cons, etc.

Am sure a concise clarification will help not only me but the entire cambium community, especially technical sales people.

Thanks.

I think the biggest difference is the band support. PTP450 supports 900MHz, 3.XGHz, and 5GHz... wheras ePMP Force110 PTP only support 5GHz. The second biggest difference is that the PTP450 radios support modulation rates up to 256QAM, which allows for theoretically higher data rates using the same channel widths as Force110. Lastly, the PTP450 series has more granular channel widths sizes to choose from, e.g 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40MHz channel widths are available vs Force 110's 5, 10, 20, 40MHz channel widths.

That being said, the Force 110 does have some  additional funcations that a PTP450 cannot accomplish. You can configure a Force 110 to be a PtP master or slave, or a PtMP AP,  or client. This makes the Force 110 a very versital and inexpensive radio that can fill many rolls.

If you're new to Cambium, I'd try out the ePMP line first. It's an inexpensive way to get your foot in the door.

If you have need for PtP's using frequencies other then 5GHz, I'd check out the PTP450 line.

3 Likes

When we start up a new POP we almost always use the Force110 PTP initially . If the site grows beyond the bandwidth abilities of the 110 then we move to Ubiquiti AirFiber 5 or 3x . We have never used a 450i or any of the higher end Cambium backhauls as they seem seriously over priced compaired to other solutions.

I wonder if there is an updated version of this Backhaul Comparison chart , such a great resource once upon a time.

It’s just about interference and availability. If you have low interference force110/200 can do the job; if you want more availability, longer distance, choose ptp450i. They work great!
Also there is a big deal with the antennas, don’t go pick the cheapest ones, they make a big difference on performance; laird are good ones.

2 Likes

Thanks for the contribution. Your posts might help.