ePMP 1000 WISP Hardware setup, what are the complete devices needed???

I am completly new to this forum.
I am going to start WISP broadband service, but dont know about all the devices involved to deliver broadban wirelessely. I have googled almost everything from the internet, but sadly didnt found anything accurate regarding fresh wisp startup. I have found that epmp 1000 is the completly perfect option , I have some questions regarding hardware selection, if any morderator or wisp owner can give me proper guidance for starting an wisp broadband service, i would be very thankful..

Here is my questionary about wisp startup.
Questions:-

1. Best base station hardware, and backhual  (including Router, full duplex managed switch, server, etc) for atleast 1500 subscribers at list 5 base station.
2. I want to offer upto 4-5mbps connection to subscribers.
3. What type of sector antenas should i use 2.4ghz or 5ghz.
4. i will use epmp 1000 Gps and force 180 
5. I will employ an Network Engineer (operator) to do all the technical work.

6. There is no interferance in the air (no other wisp)
First, welcome to the forum.    the epmp is a solid product line and will do you well.   for very dense situations, you may want to consider the 450 line as it is more scaleable.   (the 450m can feed a few hundred subs with ease)

1. Best base station hardware, and backhual  (including Router, full duplex managed switch, server, etc) for atleast 1500 subscribers at list 5 base station.

best basestation is going to vary a lot in many situations,  LOS, nLOS,NLOS all play a factor.   our distribution sites we run both 2.4 and 5ghz epmp and comfortably connect 100 to 250 subs per tower. the dual freq sectors from KP performance make life for us easy and keeps our tower leased down.  they have very good beam performance.    RF elements makes a horn sector that's awesome for filling capacity needs on towers.   the cambium sectors have great signal characteristics 

routers are always a hot top to debate.   we use juniper at our core for heavy loads and light load stuff i've used the UBNT edge routers successfully.  others prefer mikrotik end to end.   low cost routers now have much more power than they ever have. definitely talk to tik guy if you want to head that way. 

light backhauling we use EPMP.   rough situations or very long shots PTP650 is great.    short high capacity PTP i'll use AF24 from ubnt.   anything critical, high noise and high capacity and range the PTP 820 series is a great choice. 

2. I want to offer upto 4-5mbps connection to subscribers.

thats a good start for offering. the epmp line can comfortably offer more.  we offer up to 15 mbps on the 2.4 nlos and 50 mbps on the 5ghz. 

3. What type of sector antennas should i use 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

the cambium sectors work wonderfully.  the KP dual freq sectors work just as well and will let you combine into a single basestation. 

4. i will use epmp 1000 Gps and force 180 

GPS definitely.    the force 200 is a great antenna as well, id recommend switching to them any time the 180 isn't running at MCS15 to keep your network delivering as fast as possible. 

5. I will employ an Network Engineer (operator) to do all the technical work.

great idea, that will save you a LOT of headache.

6. There is no interference in the air (no other wisp)

there will always be interference.   wireless routers will cause a dull roar you'll have to deal with.   we try as much as possible to deploy R200 or R201 cnpilot router and remote manage them for the customers so we can help control the noise and keep everything clean. 

3 Likes

Hello Chris,

Thanks very much. This Forum is very helpful.  Please Id  need a specific  type of routers and switches  for the base stations with 12 ePMP 1000  Gps with 30'' RF elements Horns antenna per base staion.

Id need specific type of routers, switches. servers And PTP Backhauling  per base station  and complete hardware solution for Core networks.

Thanks Very much.

Best Redards

Christian 

There are so many different switches and routers out there, each with thier own perks.

For a startup routers, id look at the tik line, or if your network guy has a preference on cisco, juniper, brocade (plenty others)

Netonix switches seems to be a prefered device by many of us, i use them as well. Large poe budget and larget packet buffers. 12 port poe, 2 sfp cages on the 12 port models. Backhauling definitely is not a one sized fits all shoe.
Range, capacity needs, growth, spectrum and path profile all need to be considered. There isn’t a one size fits all solution im afraid. Cambium has a great line up of backhauls. The link planner software can give you better recommendations.

Servers are also a very wide area. We’ve got a few dell 910 monster vm hosts running all of our logical servers. We run a centralized dhcp system, dns, radius and billing platform all redundant in our vm hosts. Everyone does this part differently and each diffrent method has its percs and drawbacks.

To get started majority of your headend applications can be run from a router or done manually.

More importantly that is skipped over by almost every new wisp, grounding and bonding concepts. Disaster recovery and avoidance. Ie how are you going to handle long term power outtages? Are you confident the first lightning strike isnt going to wipe out your tower ?

Before you make to many hardware selections, find and talk with your network guy. I will tell you the cambium mac for the dollar very much out performs the competition in scale and dependability, usually takes the cake in 1 to 1 performance as well.

1 Like