ePMP-1000 Wetherproof Cover For Top Of Radio

Is any company making a cover that fits over the top of a ePMP-1000 connectorized radio to protect the two RF connectors from the weather when you have RSMA Male cables screwed on them that go to an external antenna?

Is anyone making a weatherproof box for the ePMP-1000 radios?

If not, here are a couple of ideas for manufacturers to stamp out.l

I was going to ask the same thing. When we use the LanBowan grids and we screw the pigtails to the top of the ePMP connectorized radios… we’ve been weatherproofing them with rubber tape, electrical tape and then silicon. Is that overkill or all necessary - but it would be MUCH nicer if the connectors could be inside a protective cover.

To the folks at Cambium Support -

Are the two RSMA connectors themselves waterproof to prevent water from entering the case.  I am not talking about the top of the RSMA connectors, but the connectors themselves with the gold lock-rings that hold the connectors to the plastic case?

We wrap all connectors with about 3 layers of Scotch 88 electrical tape, then,we paint the Scotch 88 tape well with Scotchkote and let it dry.  Scotchkote kinda melts the electrical tape and fuses it together. 

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/EMDCI/Home/Products/ProductCatalog/~/3M-Scotchkote-Electrical-Coating-FD-in-brush-top-15-oz-can?N=5584029+3294648449&rt=rud

We have Heliax connections on 700' towers that we coated with Scotchkote over 35 years ago. 

After about 20 years, most of the Scotchkote is "weathered" off of the tape, however because the tape if fused together - you will have to use a carpet knife to make a slice in the side of the tape - then peel the tape off in one piece.  You will not be able to unroll the tape.  

Buy Scotch 88T tape - which is the best tape in SMALL rolls.  Manufactured by Scotch for the telephone industry.

If you can't find Scotch 88T (or the normal big rolls of Scotch 88) , Scotch 33 electrical tape will also work.  Scotch 33 does not have as wide of temperate range as Scotch 88. 

WIth the above, you won't ever get any water into any of your connectors.

Happy Weatherproofing!

We use almost universally Scotch™ 23, then Scotch™ 33. Quick, easy and _very_ durable.

23 is hard to apply at freezing temperatures and/or wet environment, but then you shouldn't be doing any installation xD

Daniel Gracia wrote:

...at freezing temperatures and/or wet environment, but then you shouldn't be doing any installation xD

LOL.  I'm in Saskatchewan Canada - you just grounded my installers for 3/4 of the year!  ;)

My, my!

Here in northen Spain we have a mostly nice continental weather even in winter, but not at mountain sites!

Here you have two nicely camouglaged, not working links, where I would not/could not work at subfreezing temps xDDD

Well, at least it was not raining/snowing/whatever! xDDD

1 Like

Yea - you know what we call that here in Canada?

JUST ANOTHER WEDNESDAY.  :)  LOL.

cell-phone-telecommunications-tower-covered-in-wind-blown-ice-500x375.jpg

3 Likes

AWESOME!!!

Thumbs up on that one xDDD

@ninedd wrote:

Yea - you know what we call that here in Canada?

JUST ANOTHER WEDNESDAY.  :)  LOL.

cell-phone-telecommunications-tower-covered-in-wind-blown-ice-500x375.jpg

where is your red cape????

My ‘Tower of Solitude’…

But, that’s (of course) not me at all. :slight_smile: No fick’n way I’d be on a tower with 150 tones of extra ice weight…