ePMP 1000 : online gaming issue

Are you using a seperate management interface vlan ? I’d also suggest forwarding a dmz to that game console if you haven’t already.

As Chris mentioned, you can try the DMZ route, but this will require additional configuration steps on both the PS4 and if there's a router plugged in between the ePMP and the PS4....  it might be easier just to enable uPNP and NAT-PMP on the ePMP first (I don't believe it's enabled by default), and also make sure that ether the PS4 is plugged directly into the ePMP OR that a uPNP capable router is being used between the ePMP and the PS4.

1 Like

Hello guys, thanks for your replies,
Yeah his currently setup is: ePMP, that is connected to a Router (Sitecom Router), then PS4 connected to Router via ethernet cable.

I’ll try first DMZ mode and let you know, so, you can confirm that I should:

-enable DMZ and setup it on his ePMP;
-enable DMZ also on Router;
-then setup DMZ on PS4, right?

DMZ examples using some private IP's.

Enable DMZ on the ePMP for 192.168.1.10

Set router WAN IP to 192.168.1.10

Enable DMZ on router for 10.1.1.10

Set PS4 IP to 10.1.1.10 (you can use static or if your router supports static DHCP entries you could save yourself a bit of time)

2 Likes

Ok I tried to use  those settings, but used instead 192.168.1.20 and so 10.1.1.20

However, the PS4 on verifying connection gets the IP, but no internet connection. Also seems I'm not able to access router page anymore, it just doesn't load. I don't know why

@MaGabi wrote:

Ok I tried to use  those settings, but used instead 192.168.1.20 and so 10.1.1.20

However, the PS4 on verifying connection gets the IP, but no internet connection. Also seems I'm not able to access router page anymore, it just doesn't load. I don't know why

If the ePMP's NAT configured for 192.168.1.X, then configure the DMZ for 192.168.1.20, then, on the WiFi router, configure the internet/WAN interface for 192.168.1.20 (along with the proper subnet, gateway, and DNS IP's), then, assuming that your WiFi router's NAT is configured for 10.1.1.X, configure the WiFi router's DMZ for 10.1.1.20. Then go to your PS4, and configure it manually for 10.1.1.20 (along with the proper subnet, gateway, and DNS IP's).

If you have firewalling enabled on either the ePMP or your WiFi router, additional steps may need to be taken.

As you see there's a few steps, and a number of hard coded settings that need to be configured properly or else none of this works properly. That's why I was suggesting that you use uPMP/NAT-PMP as it accomplishes a similar goal, with less configuration steps and more flexibility in configuration along with better overall security.

Just a quick note, while I do more tests with DMZ and uPNP,

I noticed something really strange: if the user connects the PS4 to internet via an hotspot point with WiFi (created with a PC always connected to the same router), the networking error magically disappears, or, he gets it very very very rarely. But, as said, if he connects directly with ethernet cable or WiFi but directly to router (so not hotspot), then the error appears.

Do you know some info about this?

Ok tried everything, uPNP, DMZ, nothing works. Always same error. I don't know what to do, only way to "work around this" is to setup a Hotspot, not the best way but it kinda works.. ideas?

Is the upstream network NAT'd or are you assigning public IP address space the the ePMP client radio? For this scenario to work correctly the ePMP client radio needs to have a public IP address. If you're already NAT'ing to the ePMP client radio, then additional configuration at your head end will be needed.

I would try to confirm that you have the proper DMZ settings in place by putting an FTP server on a laptop (make sure all firewalls and security is turned off on the laptop for the test) and making the laptop the DMZ host, and then seeing if you can reach it from the outside world/different network.

Hmm I think I've setup everything correctly, but maybe I'm wrong. Do you think you can check for me in some way? I've also tried to dirrectly connect the ethernet cable  from ePMP to PS4 (instead of connecting it to router), I don't know if this changes something but I guessed it could be a  way to check if it was router fault or not, and then yeah, same issue

@MaGabi wrote:

Ok tried everything, uPNP, DMZ, nothing works. Always same error. I don't know what to do, only way to "work around this" is to setup a Hotspot, not the best way but it kinda works.. ideas?

Hate to say it, but my 'idea' is to add to the (apparently) thousands of voices already complaining to the game developers about specifically that error and the inability to consistently resolve it.

What is the router in use, and can you utilize bridging instead of NAT mode on the ePMP?

j

Hello,
Yes I agree, by doing a quick look on Forums I’ve seen a lot of complaints about this error, it seems to be under investigation but we’ll see…

However, the Router in use is Sitecom WLM-3550. About bridge mode, I’m not sure. What are the requirements to run ePMP on bridge, before I do something wrong. I remember that the setup is this : ePMP SM connected to this Sitecom router, and then all devices connected to Router of course. Oh and I don’t know if its important in this case, driver mode is TDD

@MaGabi wrote:
Hello,
Yes I agree, by doing a quick look on Forums I've seen a lot of complaints about this error, it seems to be under investigation but we'll see..

However, the Router in use is Sitecom WLM-3550. About bridge mode, I'm not sure. What are the requirements to run ePMP on bridge, before I do something wrong. I remember that the setup is this : ePMP SM connected to this Sitecom router, and then all devices connected to Router of course. Oh and I don't know if its important in this case, driver mode is TDD

We run all our clients in bridge mode.  The APs and the SMs are in bridge mode, and a router at each tower hands out public DHCP to client devices/routers.

That router appears to be a DSL modem, is that correct?  How is it wired up if that's the case?

j

Alright, I've been doing some tests.

Gone to Configuration -> Network, then switched from NAT mode to Bridge Mode. This  switch changed the Wireless IP Address from 10.10.11.18 to 192.168.0.2 automatically (I could change it of course). The field Wireless Gateway, that was  10.10.11.254 became named only "gateway" and it became blank. Saved settings and rebooted ePMP.

I couldn't get internet access, and couldn't load ePMP config page. So I changed the IPv4 address of the  LAN Adapter, by putting " 192.168.0.2" as predefinite gateway, in this mode I was able to access ePMP again. Of course I also had to change the  LAN configuration of Router, because it was unreachable aswell. Changed its IP from 192.168.1.252 to 192.168.0.252, putting it on the same gateway route so I could access it.

Anyway couldn't get internet access from PC, phones also could connect to wifi but without internet. However I could use PPPoE (before I couldn't). So I created a connection on PC with PPPoE and internet was ok with it. Then I tried to set PPPoE on PS4, and it worked too (but can't use both PS4 and PC at the same time with PPPoE). NAT Type was shown always as 2, and surprised me, because I know that a PPPoE connection on PS4 should give NAT 1. Then tried the game, it seemed to work but got same errors after a bit: however it looked a lot more stable (less frequency errors).

Also tried to connect directly ePMP ethernet cable to PS4, same result, more stable but still errors: so at this time I don't know if its Router's fault or not. Put everything as it was before after that (both ePMP and Router), connection back normally of course.

Now: yeah, I can confirm the router is DSL., was setup in this way:

DHCP -> off

WAN Settings -> Encapsulation -> Bridge Mode

On Status Page, DSL operational status is down, and ADSL Modulation N/A. 

Do you suggest me to try some specific settings? 

@MaGabi wrote:

Now: yeah, I can confirm the router is DSL., was setup in this way:

DHCP -> off

WAN Settings -> Encapsulation -> Bridge Mode

On Status Page, DSL operational status is down, and ADSL Modulation N/A. 

Do you suggest me to try some specific settings? 

Not sure how this will work - presumably the DSL Router is set up to expect the DSL connection to be the WAN, and the ethernet ports to all be LAN, in Bridging mode, in which case any devices on the network would be talking to the ePMP (or the router above it) as their gateway, NOT the DSL Router.

So if the DSL Router isn't Routing, and isn't connected to DSL, then it's really just a WiFi AP and a switch.  All the above advice I believe is based on the assumption that it was actually routing.

Any chance of getting a non-DSL/non-Cable wifi router in place?  If not, then you will probably need to use the ePMP in NAT mode, and everything on the customer's network would talk to the ePMP as their gateway, ignoring the 'Router'.  (DHCP from ePMP probably simplest answer then)

j

Also, what do you have set for "Ethernet Port Security" and "Secure MAC Limit" under Configuration>Network on the ePMP?

j

One question out the the person having this problem, are you connecting the user via his WIFI on his router or a direct cable connection?

Ethernet Port Security is disabled and so Secure MAC limit too. (It has 5 as value left there though).
I think I should have a non-DSL wireless router somewhere, I will try with it. I’ll let you know, should I try specific settings on ePMP with it?

Also, the user tried to connect both ways, ethernet cable and wifi, no changes. Only that hotspot thing seems to work for now

I'd shutoff the wifi for the  PS4 due to having really poor Wifi cards installed in the product themselves we had this issue for several people and just broke down and told them to use a cable to their router.

As for the NAT issue we never encountered that on our EPMP 1000's yet.  We run the units in bridge mode and let the consumers router handle the NAT.

Rule of thumb double NAT is usually the RAT.

@MaGabi wrote:
Ethernet Port Security is disabled and so Secure MAC limit too. (It has 5 as value left there though).
I think I should have a non-DSL wireless router somewhere, I will try with it. I'll let you know, should I try specific settings on ePMP with it?

Also, the user tried to connect both ways, ethernet cable and wifi, no changes. Only that hotspot thing seems to work for now

I don't know how your network is supposed to be set up, but on our network we have the ePMP radios all bridging, and the customer router pulls public IP DHCP from our routers, and in turn provides private IP DHCP to client devices on its local side.

That game apparently depends on UPnP support on the router to let it request port-forwarding of data the game needs - make sure whatever router you put in has UPnP enabled, or set up DMZ to the PS4 or port-forward the necessary UDP/TCP connections manually. (lists of the ports are posted at Bungie's support site IIRC)  Note that DMZ is possibly the easiest, but also the riskiest - it exposes the destination device to direct access from the outside at the customer's public IP, making it more readily hacked.  Forwarding just the needed ports is safer.

j