ePMP APs randomly rebooting... in unison?

Just to put this out there, I'm assuming there's other gear at the same tower sites that is NOT rebooting?  And that the APs in question are on power filtration and backup?

j

No mention of power at all?  What about power supplies?  Are you running them DC by chance?

Correct. the rest of the tower is unaffected. All APs are powered via their included AC/DC PoE injectors on large APC UPS' which power the rest of the devices on the tower as well. 

Looked like Luis got some good info about what's happening from our remote session today. Fingers crossed for a quick fix. 

Any news on this? I have 2, maybe 3, Epmp connectorized CPE that seem to have this same issue.  Any updates to this thread about how this issue is solved would be appreciated.

Hello tiny,

Sarnold issue was due to certain multicast/IGMP traffic not been handled correctly by the ePMP software. The fix is already available in release 2.4.1. I don't know if you are experiencing exactly the same issue sarnold was but it may be worth upgrading to that load anyways, if you have not already done so.

Luis

I updated the SMs from 2.3.3 to 2.4.1 yesterday, and one rebooted twice this morning.  I'll update the AP, which isn't rebooting, and continue to monitor them.

I have a little more insight; These links are definitely longer than the "norm", one is 23 miles and the other is 33 miles.  They only reboot when there is some amount of traffic being broadcast.  When I switch the few subs on this tower back to the old backhaul, the Epmp SM stays powered up and stable.  Within hours of switching the traffic back to the Epmp1000, it starts rebooting. I can make it reboot, simply by using Mikrotik bandwidth test across the Epmp1000 link.

Hello tiny,

I'm assuming from your description that these are two point-to-point links, and that the SM side is the one rebooting, disrupting the link. Would it be possible for you to provide remote access to the link after the failure has occurred?

I'm hoping I can capture enough information off the SM to narrow down what is causing the failure.

Thanks,

Luis

Any updates on this?

Hi ,

As I understand your ePMP radio is automatically rebooting. This happens  When 16 or more L2 ACL rules are configured and full syslog is enabled and the radio is overloaded with small packets of size less than 30 bytes, it may cause of reboot. The radio will recover by itself after the reboot. If you are on firmware before 2.1 we would recommend you to upgrade it to latest version i.e 2.4.2 

@Support_Richa wrote:

Hi ,

As I understand your ePMP radio is automatically rebooting. This happens  When 16 or more L2 ACL rules are configured and full syslog is enabled and the radio is overloaded with small packets of size less than 30 bytes, it may cause of reboot. The radio will recover by itself after the reboot. If you are on firmware before 2.1 we would recommend you to upgrade it to latest version i.e 2.4.2 

Brad,

Could we get remote access into your system? It would be a good step forward.

Sakid

I am seeing this same behaviour with one of our ePMP Access Points.

Three subscribers on it.

If any SM tries a speedtest, the whole AP reboots and recovers.

All radios were running 2.4.2 and I even tried the 2.4.3 beta with no change in behavior.

Hello vanilla,

This could be a bad power injector/power supply or a defective AP. I do not believe this is firmware related. Please contact Cambium support for further assistance.

Regards,

Luis

years ago we had a problem with radios dropping under load and it turned out to be 26ga jumpers oddly enough... if you've got inline surge protection at that tower as a just incase, make sure you've got 24ga or better jumpers    once we got those out the voltage drop stopped happening on the APs and they stopped rebooting randomly.   probably a far shot with this instance, but worth a peak for an odd problem. 

We are having similar issue with an AP ePMP 1000 with GPS Sync

So far upgraded to v 2.6.1 and running speed test now between routers. So far the AP hasent rebooted.

Will update the post if there is any change

We had a similar problem. I upgraded the issued radio to 2.6.2-RC1 and this version fixed the problem.

Try contact Cambium support engineers at support@cambiumnetworks.com ;)

Hi Guys,

we are running epmp 1000 Gps Sych radios on one tower.We have 3 of the AP's and for  while now we have noticed 2 of the AP's are always rebooting intermitently thereby disconnecting customers every now and then.I have confirmed the  channels and frequencies of each AP and they seem to be well spaced but the issue persists.I also tried making sure they are all running the 3.2.2 firm ware version and also kept the max range of each AP equal.All troubleshooting i have done seems not to end this.any one kindly help.Thanks

Hi,

Could you please check whether crashlog has been saved.

Please use

debug crashlog

command under admin CLI.

Then I'd like to propose you to set up syslog server, to monitor what happens with APs exactly before reboot.

Could you also describe in what way APs are powered on?

Thank you.

1 Like

Are you running with GPS Sync enabled (Sync Source set to GPS and not using Flexible scheduling mode)? Like Fedor suggests, syslog may help us determine the cause.

Regards

1 Like

Here also the same problem with epmp force 100. Random restarts. Setting up a client with a firmware upgrade 2.5.1 to 3.2.2 helped replacing units for another. The same settings.

1 Like