ePMP event June 07 - register now

@Cambium_RayS wrote:

Do you have any questions or comments that you would like our team to address at the event on June 07? Please post them to this thread.

Hi. Is there going to be a specific ePTP2000 (Point to Point) version? I guess the beamforming antenna is not really applicable when you already have a single client and a directional dish - but the Dynamic Filtering Chip would seem to still be a potential benefit for PTP links as well, correct?  Or would we simply configure a ePTP2000 and choose the PTP Master/Slave modes, and have essentially the same thing as a PTP2000 model would offer?

@ninedd wrote:

Hi.  I know that the best practice for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz installations is going to be 4x  90 degree sectors, so that the Front/Back is as issolated as possible, and so that frequency reuse will be optimal. However, many of our towers are light duty Trylon T200-96 towers, and so we're always trying to mimimize size/weight/windloading at the top.  Plus, towers are triangular, so 3 sectors are much simpler to mount on a 3 sided/3 legged tower. :)

SO - if you could speak to how much better the ePMP2000 might perform in a 3 sector arrangment with it's dynamic filters and beamforming antennas please?

The new Cambium in house designed OEM antenna is rated for 90 and 120deg use... so you could strech a little and use (3) 120deg's to provide decent 360deg coverage. You would not be able to use frequency reuse, but you would be able to probably eliminate the use of guard bands with E2K. That being said, the BSA is designed to provide spot coverage in a 90deg area.

Keep in mind the 2000 is best suited towards high interference sites. The BSA is best suited towards distant clients and/or clients in a high interference environment and only improves the client uplink. If your spectrum is clean, and your clients are at a reasonable distance, a normal 1000 AP will do fine.

@Cambium_RayS wrote:

Do you have any questions or comments that you would like our team to address at the event on June 07? Please post them to this thread. 

Hi. What modes were those speed test results done in? What channel widths, frame size, frame ratios, etc were those tested with?

@ninedd wrote:

Hi. I see this is answered in the thread by a contributor already, but if you would speak on the official possition on 2.4Ghz vesion of the ePMP2000 please? It would seem that with the less spectrum and with the greater interference, it would seem that a 2.4Ghz version could have huge potential benefits as well. I'd think that adjacent noise and self interference would be a major issue in 2.4Ghz and a dynamic filter could be a benefit all on it's own.,

So, is the decision not to release a 2.4ghz version a marketing/financial decision, or is it more a technical reason? I know the two go hand in hand, but is there a technical reason that a 2.4Ghz version isn't really viable? Or does it just come down the the ROI of developing things like a 2.4Ghz beamforming antenna and Dynamic Filter chipset?

The reason why it's not being released is a mixture of the high design cost, lack of demand, and lack of gains using a traditional filter vs a super-het filter when applied to that small amount of band. I've been told that testing was performed on the PMP450i 900MHz (which has even less spectrum and more noise then 2.4GHz band!) product to see if a super-het design would outperform a traditional filtering system and there was no noticeable performance gains, along with increased engineering costs and equipment costs.

HyPure is great at filtering out OOBE, and adjacent noise up to so many MHz away... I want to say 60MHz from center?... which is great for bands like 5GHz (and soon to be 3.XGhz) which have 100's of MHz of spectrum. But for bands like 2.4 and 900, this kind of filter would have no benefit because what you'd be filtering isn't noisy typically... no one is operating high power radios at 2400 or 2480.

One more reason for Cambium to release a dual TX/RX super-het on 5GHz is due to the FCC's more stringent OOBE guidlines. This allows for Cambium to be certified for more channels and higher power at band edges. The benefits don't apply to 2.4/900.

2 Likes

When will the webminar will be uploaded? 

1 Like

View the recording of today's ePMP 2000 launch at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeZLZpfJo4. Post questions or comments to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeZLZpfJo4

1 Like

@MarioL wrote:

One question. I went from the 90 degree sectors to 60 degree RF elements twistports, will the new radios also support this?

Unfortunately, the RF Twist port adapter will not work with the ePMP2K. I suggest some inquiries and requests into RFE to see if they can update the adapter to work with E2K. If that adapter works then any antenna that RFE has will work.

Sakid

@ninedd wrote:
This will probably be covered already - but can an epmp2000 AP use a third party antenna and still support adding the Cambium beam forming antenna? Further to that, can a person use a dual band AP antenna (such as the KP Performance 2.4 & 5ghz) with a epmp1000 2.4ghz AP and still add the beam forming antenna to the epmp2000 5ghz AP.

3rd party antenna yes. You would pole mount the ePMP2K, cable up to the 3rd party sector and beam steer. Now, your second scenario is interesting. At a high level, I don't see why it wouldn't work as the 5GHz portion of the dual band sector is working independently with the ePMP2K+BSA.

Sakid

1 Like

@giuseppe4 wrote:
Will ePMP 2000 replace ePMP 1000 product line?

No, it won't. All the SMs from ePMP1000 are still valid and the ePMP1000 GPS AP is absolutely a key product at the right price range for frequency re-use.

Sakid

@Sakid Ahmed wrote:

@ninedd wrote:
This will probably be covered already - but can an epmp2000 AP use a third party antenna and still support adding the Cambium beam forming antenna? Further to that, can a person use a dual band AP antenna (such as the KP Performance 2.4 & 5ghz) with a epmp1000 2.4ghz AP and still add the beam forming antenna to the epmp2000 5ghz AP.

3rd party antenna yes. You would pole mount the ePMP2K, cable up to the 3rd party sector and beam steer. Now, your second scenario is interesting. At a high level, I don't see why it wouldn't work as the 5GHz portion of the dual band sector is working independently with the ePMP2K+BSA.

Sakid

This is something i was really curious about, I'm hoping to do just that as soon as i have my hands on a beam steering antenna :)    the KPs are huge though, the atennas leads that came with the 2k wont reach, i'll have to get longer jumpers for the KPs to move the radio down. 

We absolutely have a path to AC.  The idea of AC will be that its an AP you swap out so in order to get AC you would have to replace the ePMP2000 AP but you can still communicate to SMs in legacy mode.

Sakid

4 Likes

@Mike99 wrote:

I must say I'm a little  disapointed. Yes, technology seem gream but 100 Mb/s is just not enough anymore for ISP. It would have been awsome 2 or 3 years ago. I was hoping AC + MU-MIMO (at less 4x4 but hopping 8x8) would be introduced with this platform at low cost. Be able to communicate with 4 SMs at the same time and interference mitigation would prompt to upgrade or change form competition.

Anyway, I will wait for 450m see if the price is fine (outdated licence by Mb/s model sigh) or if we just continue to invest if fiber and slowly leave wireless market like it actually the case. 

Mike,

Sorry to disappoint you but don't give up on the ePMP line just yet. The ePMP2000 is a real and viable product that deals solely with interference problems. You can run it in 40MHz as well to increase tput. MU-MIMO is key with AC and ePMP will move to this as we have indicated in the past. Our goal is also to make this an affordable platform. 

I think you will also find our 450m information to be quite fascinating as well.

Sakid

3 Likes

@ninedd wrote:

@Cambium_RayS wrote:

Hi. I see this is answered in the thread by a contributor already, but if you would speak on the official possition on 2.4Ghz vesion of the ePMP2000 please? It would seem that with the less spectrum and with the greater interference, it would seem that a 2.4Ghz version could have huge potential benefits as well. I'd think that adjacent noise and self interference would be a major issue in 2.4Ghz and a dynamic filter could be a benefit all on it's own.,

So, is the decision not to release a 2.4ghz version a marketing/financial decision, or is it more a technical reason? I know the two go hand in hand, but is there a technical reason that a 2.4Ghz version isn't really viable? Or does it just come down the the ROI of developing things like a 2.4Ghz beamforming antenna and Dynamic Filter chipset?

Its about the ROI really. The intelligent filtering is challenging for such a small chunk of spectrum but I can see a beam steering helping the 2.4 situation. However, in the big picutre we see more and more people moving off 2.4 due to the level of interference. Even with a product like ePMP2000, it is a challenge to justify the investment to be honest.

Sakid

1 Like

@ninedd wrote:

@Cambium_RayS wrote:

Hi. Is there going to be a specific ePTP2000 (Point to Point) version? I guess the beamforming antenna is not really applicable when you already have a single client and a directional dish - but the Dynamic Filtering Chip would seem to still be a potential benefit for PTP links as well, correct?  Or would we simply configure a ePTP2000 and choose the PTP Master/Slave modes, and have essentially the same thing as a PTP2000 model would offer?

I very much agree that a PTP variant with the filtering would make a lot of sense. However, we don't have the mechanics planned at the time to support this. I do envision that some partners may create brackets that allow easy connection to dishes. We will keep an eye on this and share as soon as we see something.

Sakid

Further to this, the ePMP 2000 AP and ePMP 2000 Smart Antenna include pole mounting brackets.

@Sakid Ahmed wrote:

@ninedd wrote:

Sakid

Thank you ePMP product line & support!

I look forward to implementing the 2k product along with AC 256qam when the day comes.

Couple Questions.

The Baseline speed tests between the 1k and 2k are practicality the same really no increase in bandwidth with the 2k product chipset but if I have co. or adj. interference I can see a increase in upload speeds and sounds like some download to a SM from the testimonial but OVERALL no increase. So....

Q. in a PTP Scenario will I only see increased upload and possible download with the connectorized 25db dish antenna because of the dynamic filtering? 

Q. the 2k will have ptp mode?

"The idea of AC will be that its an AP you swap out so in order to get AC you would have to replace the ePMP2000 AP but you can still communicate to SMs in legacy mode."

Q. Does this mean that ALL 1k or 2k SMs will have to be switched to AC units before actually utilizing the the AC / 256qam benefits?

1 Like

Overall you should definitely see a system capacity increase vs ePMP 1000 in the presence of interference. Although in ideal lab conditions the maximum capacity of ePMP 1000 and ePMP 2000 are very similar, we have consistently seen in real world testing that ePMP 2000 outperforms ePMP 1000 due to the 5 GHz interference present just about everywhere.

Yes, ePMP 2000 will have a PTP mode. In this case the performance gain over ePMP 1000 will come from the intelligent filtering feature as smart beamforming won't help a PTP link.

Just to clarify, there are no ePMP 2000 SMs. ePMP 2000 is an AP only. We will share more details about AC performance in legacy mode in the future.

Where is a link that I can forward to people that missed the webinar? I got an Email that says thnak sfor joinign here is a link for the recorded session and it brings me here where this is nothing in regards to the webinar recording?

Thanks

Hi - the recording is on page 3 of this thread, or you can view the recording of the ePMP 2000 launch at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeZLZpfJo4.

There are two videos on epmp 2000 one of them is the webminar, the other is a video on youtube. I am sending you both links

http://players.brightcove.net/3562770975001/default_default/index.html?videoId=4932958209001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeZLZpfJo4