ePMP in 3.xGhz

@Cambium_Sri wrote:
Currently there are no plans to offer the ePMP 1000 or ePMP 2000 line in the 3 GHz band.

Hi. As a suggestion for a relatively low cost solution engineering solution to a 3Ghz ePMP - you could contact 'DBii Networks' and discuss licensing their downconvertor technology. They made the F36N card, which was internally simply a regular 5ghz Atheros chipset, and then their downconvertor subtracted 2106 Mhz from it.

So, one could simply pop their F36N MiniPCI card into MikroTik or StarOS or FreeBSD or into a Laptop or bascially anything that already knows how to talk 5 Ghz, and set it for 5770 and the downconvertor will convert that to 3664 Mhz. I would expect that maybe the downconvertor could be added to a 5Ghz and the rest of the  unit could remain physically the same.

http://www.dbii.com/f36N-PRO.html 

I know there's not a ton of spectrum there, BUT since you have GPS Syncing and Frequency reuse, I'd love to see a ePMP 3.x GHZ solution - even if it was $100 more than a 5Ghz product due to the Downconvertor. As a backhaul, it'd be a great option to get backhauls away from the 5Ghz band - and as a MultiPoint (especially internationally where there sometimes is more 3.x band available) that'd be awesome to get away from all the other unlicensed bands noise.

The 3Ghz rules in the US are in a state of change currently and I wouldn't expect Cambium to do anything until the rules are finalized.  

1 Like

Cambium has 3.5 and 3.6 GHz versions of their 450 platform, which operate in those bands natively without frequency conversion.  But they are quite a bit more expensive than ePMP.

The Ubiquiti frequency converted M series radios (900 MHz and 3 GHz) never seemed to work that well.  I think you lose something in the process.

1 Like

This is never going to happen on the ePMP line... especially now considering all the additional changes to the band and all the new 'intelligent' features that will need to be added to the radio in order to make it CBRS compliant.

1 Like

@ninedd wrote:

@Cambium_Sri wrote:
Currently there are no plans to offer the ePMP 1000 or ePMP 2000 line in the 3 GHz band.

Hi. As a suggestion for a relatively low cost solution engineering solution to a 3Ghz ePMP - you could contact 'DBii Networks' and discuss licensing their downconvertor technology. They made the F36N card, which was internally simply a regular 5ghz Atheros chipset, and then their downconvertor subtracted 2106 Mhz from it.

So, one could simply pop their F36N MiniPCI card into MikroTik or StarOS or FreeBSD or into a Laptop or bascially anything that already knows how to talk 5 Ghz, and set it for 5770 and the downconvertor will convert that to 3664 Mhz. I would expect that maybe the downconvertor could be added to a 5Ghz and the rest of the  unit could remain physically the same.

http://www.dbii.com/f36N-PRO.html 

I know there's not a ton of spectrum there, BUT since you have GPS Syncing and Frequency reuse, I'd love to see a ePMP 3.x GHZ solution - even if it was $100 more than a 5Ghz product due to the Downconvertor. As a backhaul, it'd be a great option to get backhauls away from the 5Ghz band - and as a MultiPoint (especially internationally where there sometimes is more 3.x band available) that'd be awesome to get away from all the other unlicensed bands noise.

Thanks for the suggestion - that's an interesting solution. There are no plans to offer ePMP in 3.x GHz bands but we regularly review the state of the market and community suggestions.