ePMP1000 Polarization

Hi all,

I would like to ask that the Polarization for ePMP1000. Do all ePMP is polarise of Horizontal and Vertical?

It depends... all the 5ghz gear is H+V. The 2.4 OEM antenna is dual-slant, but all the radios with integrated antennas are H+V.

1 Like

Icc thank you for the information. Because I have a link require pass thru the sea. Base on my exprience, the H-polarity perfrom better above the water especially when the water level changing constantly.

If you're going to be installing over water, you might want to consider something that deals with multipath well, like the PTP670. These are used specifically for gas/oil/utilities companies for transmission over long distances of water.

3 Likes

I have similar questions.

I have 1x epmp 1000 Hotspot with 2x4db Antenna

Now I want to replace 1 of the 4db antenna with 12db omni antenna

If epmp 1000 facing me. Which antenna should I replaced.

Left or right antenna.

I want higher horizontal polarization

tq

it doesn't matter. 

the radio doesn't dictate polarization, the antennas do. 

you can run 2x vertical, or 2x horizontal.  or mix them.  you get the best speed from 2 different polarizations.   you can mix and match liner and cross polarizations.      the APs have the intelligence needed to deal with this at the front end with no negative impact on performance.   you can use these tricks to improve your overall system gain in some situations as well.IE in the woods, Xpol will generally propagate slightly better than HV.   on the client end you can use either X pol or liner to then return without having any problems. 

If you can live with 1/2 the bandwidth, and the specific water/multipath characteristics are impeditive to MIMO operation, you can always use the "maximum rate" field in the Config->Radio tab:

If you set it to MCS7 or lower, the radio will send the same data in the V and H channels.

In that case, if your water is shifting the polarity of the reflections that arrive at the RX side, this is no longer a problem, since the data is the same.

My general advice for links over water is to use the highest gain antennas reasonably possible, use "Deep", or "UHP", or dishes with "radome shield" if available/possible. This will help send and recieve the minimum of radiation from outside the main lobe, lowering the contribution of water-refracted signals in the link.
You can also try to "err upwards". That is, you can misalign the tilt on both sides, say, 0,5º, or 1º upwards. this way you can hopefully loose more noise than usefull signal. This is highly dependent on the local geography and the specific side lobe/water geometry in your specific link.

Water is not your friend, unfortunetelly.

2 Likes