more 3.5.1 issues - gps sync

We have one epmp 2.4 access point losing sync on a regular basis.  Used to it was once or twice a month but recently since going to 3.5.1, it is everyday.  Enabled the log last night and it is not showing anything:

Sep  1 00:00:15 Grandview AP #1 (Northeast) kernel: GPS Sync Lost. (06:00:08:23885)
Sep  1 00:00:17 Grandview AP #1 (Northeast) snmpd[2318]: DFS status: N/A
Sep  1 00:02:13 Grandview AP #1 (Northeast) kernel: [  138.400000] GPS Sync Restored. (06:02:13:849511)

Tonight it has lost sync again, nothing logged, and the gps status shows 10 sats are visable but none are tracked.

I can reboot and it'll come back.

What gives?

We have probably 15 other aps in the sky and this is the only one doing this.

1 Like

Have you tried a hard power cycle ?

yes - i reboot the entire cluster from a netonix to hard power cycle the site each time it happens.

it is happening again right now - - but there is no indication it is causing any problems.

i have witnessed it cause utter chaos before.

Hello,

Which GPS FW version is running on your AP?

Thank you.

AXN_1.51_2838

Hi cyberbroadband,

In most cases the issue is caused by external interference from 3G/LTE that overloads GPS receiever. The workaround solution is to disconnect GPS antenna puck.

The unit has a built-in small low gain patch GPS antenna inside so it can help.

Thanks,

Dmitry

2 Likes

so disconnect the gps puck but don't change any of the settings?

Hi cyberbroadband,

You are correct, the general recomendation is to disconnect the puck.

You can also increase the GPS holdoff timer to the higher value. Based on the log provided GPS was off only for couple minutes so it will be covered by holdoff timer.

Thanks,
Dmitry

3 Likes

we currently hold to 3600 seconds on GPS sync holdoff time.  What would you recommended value be?

I see it will hold all the way to 860000

Hi,

In most cases 30 minutes(1800 seconds) will work. With the maximum value the clock will most probably drift that will create self interference to collocated access points.

Dmitry

Still more issues!

Not sure what is wrong with 3.5.1 but it has caused one of my AP's to loose GPS completely. I downgraded to 3.5

and it is more stable but still looses GPS.

Symptoms:

No satellites tracked, no GPS info what so-ever, no GPS firmware info on upgrade page.

What I have tried before downgrade:

Soft power reset - does not work, still no GPS.

Removed external GPS antenna - this did not restore GPS sync not affect any GPS functions.

Hard power reset - restores GPS tracking and normal operations. Still locks-up at random.

Reattached external GPS antenna - all this provides is more satellites tracked. Still locks-up at random.

The onboard syslog does not show any reason for the lock-ups and the remote syslog just shows the transmitter going down due to no sync signal.

Hello Douglas,

Could you identify equipment/GPS firmware in use where you are seeing issues? Attached below is a table with the possible combinations.

1 Like

I'm having these same issues with about 5 of my upgraded APs AXN_1.51_2838 and AXN_5.1._8174

I have same problems. Epmp 2000.

We are having the same issues and have been for a long time. None of the suggested fixes have worked for us. I am convinced it is a hardware issue that Cambium needs to accept responsibility for. We work hard to provide a high quality internet service and this GPS issue with Cambium is making us look bad. It is not acceptable to having to continuously hard reboot equipment because it randomly locks up. I would love to hear from anyone who may have actually found a solution. Our next step is to switch from individual power supplies and GPS sync to sync pipes and sync power injectors. I moved away from that configuration due to one power supply goes out and everything is down past that injector due to the daisy chained sync but our quality of service is in the toilet right now due to this problem. It has clearly amplified over the last month or so in my area. Also the new firmware upgrade that was supposed to resolve this issue has not fixed anything. After updating all of my radios I have seen sync issues actually more frequently than before.

@John Silva wrote:

We are having the same issues and have been for a long time. None of the suggested fixes have worked for us. I am convinced it is a hardware issue that Cambium needs to accept responsibility for. We work hard to provide a high quality internet service and this GPS issue with Cambium is making us look bad. It is not acceptable to having to continuously hard reboot equipment because it randomly locks up. I would love to hear from anyone who may have actually found a solution. Our next step is to switch from individual power supplies and GPS sync to sync pipes and sync power injectors. I moved away from that configuration due to one power supply goes out and everything is down past that injector due to the daisy chained sync but our quality of service is in the toilet right now due to this problem. It has clearly amplified over the last month or so in my area. Also the new firmware upgrade that was supposed to resolve this issue has not fixed anything. After updating all of my radios I have seen sync issues actually more frequently than before.

What are you using to power the Epmp2000s?   these have a much smaller voltage tolerance than the 1000s and draw a little more power.  if you've got 26ga jumpers or any other cat cable in the feed, you maybe having issues with power.    we've tons of 2000s up and no issues like this, so lets see what's different between our situations.   

we use a mix of Juniper ex2200P and netonix switching to power the e2k at 48v.   we keep our cable runs under 200' past that we'll use a netonix mini top side to keep the voltage in check (sending 48v 1.2 amp on high current up to that switch)   we also DON'T use surge suppression anymore as we found it caused a lot of strange issues with other devices.   I do not recommend going without surge suppression unless you know for sure your bonding is perfect, you'll lose ports easy with any amount of potential difference. all Shireen DC1042 everywhere. 

how are you powering and connecting your radios?  are you colocated around any other cell companies? if so are they running near the GPS bands?    

Use packetflux for Sync.  If nothing else have a set on hand so you can install the packetflux without a tower climb to get your sync up and running untill you can get up the tower to replace the puc, or just move the puc, or remove the puc and just use the internal gps on the radio, or just replace the radio or whatever solution you decide to try.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. We are using the power supplies that come with the radios to power them. All of our links are under 100' and we have quad shielded Cat5e cable from radio to power supply with shielded connectors. I have also moved away from the in line arrestors. The thing I see that makes me question everything I thought I knew is that I have sectors on RF Element horns that are right next to each other on the tower and I can watch the monitor GPS screen on the radios and one will have 17 satellites tracked 23 visible, my problematic sector 0 tracked and 0 visible and the next one 19 tracked and 22 visible all within a few feet of each other. The sector with 0 will at times come back with 21 visible and 9-10 tracked and I will watch the tracked satellites drop to 0 or 1 and then pop back up to 9 or 10 again. Very intermittent but the whole interference thing seems questionable when the pucks and sectors are so close and some radios are never seeing the problem.