Best antenna for 2ghz elevate.

We are wanting to get out UBNT 2ghz elevated but we are unsure of the antenna to use.

UBNT radios are H/V the cambium 2ghz sector is dual slant 45. I am thinking that the UBNT radios do not have the ability to take the offset polarization and add it together to negate the 3db loss.

I know that mimosa does that and I think that cambium does as well but I am not sure.

So will I be better off using a different H/V antenna for the ePMP 1000 AP?

the dual slant is fine.     

once the 2.4 elivate software is released, I'm sure it will calculate like the regular liner cambiums CPEs do. 

the UBNT cpes lock to the cambium APs in wifi mode using the X pole sectors fine for us when we  were doing bulk change overs. 

but did you lose 3db? there are some areas we need all the signal we can get and fixing it preemptively by choosing the right antenna will help in the long run.

I don't know if it is a software or hardware thing that recalculates the polarity offset.

If its hardware I doubt Ubnt has that feature. if it is software then it shouldn't be a problem.

I just need clarification on which it is so I can get the best antenna for my customers..

@NGL_Connection wrote:

but did you lose 3db? there are some areas we need all the signal we can get and fixing it preemptively by choosing the right antenna will help in the long run.

I don't know if it is a software or hardware thing that recalculates the polarity offset.

If its hardware I doubt Ubnt has that feature. if it is software then it shouldn't be a problem.

I just need clarification on which it is so I can get the best antenna for my customers..

X pol for us has kept overall RSSI better in NLOS situtations better than liner. 

I will tell you I feel that the M series gear from UBNT doesn't calculate RSSI correctly.   most of our epmp change overs have ended up 2 or 3 db rssi weaker than UBNT reported.   that has also been true when we'ved used an AFx2  for the two ptp 2ghz shots we have.   both types of equipment have reported 2 to 3 less RSSI than UBNT M series.   that being said, the cambium has been in better modulation rates than the M gear is pretty much every instance, particulary UP link modulation because of GPS sync. 

the X pol antennas do a better job dealing with physical obstructions due to the shape of the sign leaving the antenna.     

M series radios lock and perform normal to a X pole antenna in wifi mode, we've migrated nearly 1,000 M series CPEs to cambium, and most of that transition was to cambium sectors because frankly the UBNT M sectors are awful with FTB, and constantly radiation patterns.   (cambium the radiation graphs between the cambium and UBNT M sectors and you'll see cambiums polarity match is very close, and return lose is consistent.     the UBNT is not in either case. 

The UBNT radios do have that feature (even with the ubnt firmware)... it's actually built into the chipset, from what I understand. I have tested it several times by holding a PowerBeam, and watching the signal as you rotate the antenna 45 degrees - there is generally no significant difference in signal level.

I tend to agree that UBNT radios don't calculate RSSI properly... if I remember correctly, Cambium actually did some testing awhile back that confirmed that. It will be interesting to see what the the signal levels do when we start Elevating radios, where we'll be using the exact same antennas and the only thing that will be changing is the AP and software.

1 Like