Failed elevate on test dish to 3.3

Hello,

We tried migrating an XW powerbeam dish from v6.0 to ePMP elevate v3.3

The XW device was in router mode and when we flashed it to elevate, it came up on our ePMP AP but the default IP was 192.168.0.2 instead of going to Bridge mode and keeping the same IP we had set before. I was not able to lgoin to the device then even though it was connected wirelessly to the new ePMP AP. Now we've migrated 6 other sectors in our network but on older versions of software, not 3.3

Is the problem that our sectors were on 6.0 or is there is a problem with 3.3 and not keeping the IP info from UBNT gear during the elevate process?

Actually looking back, I know that 4 of our AP conversions had about 85 clients all running v6.0 on XM and XW devices and they all retained the IP info properly.

Any ideas why our one migration on another XW device lost the IP info?

Also, is there any way at that point to then try to login to the device when the IP is defaulted so I can reprogram it without a truck roll? With UBNT, I can get logged in when it defaults to 192.168.1.20 by setting our Mikrotik router interface to 192.168.1.1/24 and then adding the route into OSPF and can access it from the office then. With ePMP, I've never been able to access the device remotely by setting the router interface to 192.168.0.1 and then adding it into OSPF. I truly need to be plugged into it with Layer 2 access. Why the different between ePMP and UBNT? It is very frustrating to say the least.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello Darin,

You may want to check the ePMP Elevate Quickguide here: https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/files/epmp-elevate/

ePMP Elevate does not support UBNT devices running in Router mode (http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-Elevate/Router-or-Bridge-Mode/m-p/63006#U63006). This could be related to some of the issues you are facing.

Regards

This is only supposed to matter at the AP level, not the CPE level. Sakid at Cambium posted this response in the thread you linked to. Our AP is in bridge mode but the CPE are in router mode. Like I said, this upgrade to Elevate worked on 80-90 CPE just fine but the most recent one I tried with v3.3 Elevate on an XW device, the IP got reset to ePMP default 192.168.0.2 instead of what I had programmed in there with UBNT before.

Thanks

Sakid: This is specfic to the router mode at the AP which UBNT supports and ePMP does not. So if your current network is running router mode at the AP then it needs to be switched to bridge mode. Not an issue from a CPE perspective.

Hello Darin,

I believe I was able to reproduce your issue. Could you confirm your initial settings for the XW CPE?

-  UBNT SW version 6.0.3

- Station in Router mode

- Static IP in Wireless Interface

After elevating with version 3.3, my test device (PowerBeam M5 400) ended up in Bridge mode but with DHCP enabled and IP set to the default IP (it lost the original IP that was statically assigned to it). Sorry for the original misunderstanding.

Regards

1 Like

I don't know if we were on v6.0.3 or v6.0 for sure but it was definitely one of these two versions before we elevated it.

Station was in Router Mode and had a Static IP set in the wireless interface just as you describe.

Once elevated, it ended up in bridge mode with the ePMP default IP of 192.168.0.2

So if you were able to reproduce the issue, is that a problem just with the 3.3 version and not an older version of elevate?

Thank you

Hello Darin,

The same behavior exists when using the ePMP Elevate version to 3.2.2 (which I just tried) so I need to check with the Development team to ensure this scenario is supported.

Regards

Ok I looked at the other sites we've elevated so far and when we did the switch from v6.0 to ePMP Elevate, we upgraded using 3.2.1 for XW/XM devices and they did NOT lose their IP on the wireless interface although they did switch to Bridge mode from Router mode on the LAN side which we fixed after logging back in to each one.

So somewhere 3.2.2 and later it appears that upgrading to Elevate from v6.0 or later, it loses the wireless interface IP address and goes to default.

If you can confirm, that'd be great.

Back to one of my questions in the original post, is there a way to access that device wirelessly and login and change it once it's set back to 192.168.0.2 IP? I explained it in that post if you can review it. Thank you

Hello Darin,

Elevating with 3.2.1 has the same results. Development confirmed that this is an expected behavior, and that the recommendation in the Elevate Guidelines to convert the network to Bridge mode before Elevating applies to CPEs as well.

The team has created an Elevator tool (http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-Elevate/Elevator-tool-to-preconfigure-before-you-Elevate/m-p/71533#U71533) to help configuring devices in the correct mode before Elevating them.

I cannot explain why you did not encounter this issue in your previous attempts though.

Since the Elevated CPE will configure itself in DHCP mode, if it successfully registers with the ePMP AP (given SSID/authentication credentails are correct), you could setup a DHCP server in your network to provide a routable IP address to the CPE. This  should allow you to access the CPE wirelessly, using the DHCP IP address, which should be listed under Monitor->Wireless at the AP, once the CPE registers.

Regards

2 Likes

So if I switch the CPE from router mode to Bridge mode before elevating it, it retains the correct wireless IP address that we statically set in our current UBNT feedhorn? 

Thanks

That is correct. If the CPE is in Bridged mode, with statically assigned IP information while running UBNT software, once Elevated, it should keep the same IP configuration.

Regards

2 Likes

I just elevated an XW device running v6.0 to ePMP elevate v3.3 after I switched from Router to Bridge mode on the CPE and it did work as expected this time. The wireless IP did not change which is great.

Thank you

2 Likes