New to elevate - some questions and comments

We're a WISP in Missouri with a few hundred customers, primarily Ubiquiti 5.8ghz. We've largely been happy with the 5.8 performance, and will probably stick to Ubiquiti for that band. However, we just acquired a neighboring ISP (owner health problems meant they needed a new home) who is primarily 2.4 Ghz UBNT (a mix of Rocket M2, Bullet, AirGrid, NanoBridge and NanoStation devices - mostly on omnis). The Ubiquiti 2.4 performance leaves a lot to be desired, so we're just getting our feet wet in Cambium-land.

To test things out, we purchased an ePMP-1000 Sync (the vendor gave us a 10-pack of Elevate licenses with the purchase). One UBNT omni in particular has been giving us problems, so we picked it as our testbed.

• The Omni in question had 26 customers, and struggled to pull 14 mbit/s between all of them. The majority of customers are on 5/1 plans, with a couple on 10/3 (who've never seen anything approaching that speed).
  • We put up a second omni on the same pole (I know this isn't ideal, but there are some physical constraints) with the ePMP as the AP. We put the two at opposite ends of the 2.4 Ghz spectrum band to try and avoid interference. (The plan is to remove the first omni once we're happy with the new one)
  • I used the Elevator tool, built an sm.json config, and successfully elevated the first 8 customers. The conversion has been trouble-free so far, with everyone connecting right up.
  • Many reported RSSIs have improved, and the "wireless link test" shows speeds ranging from 75/7 (NanoBridge/NanoStation) to 25/5 (AirGrid). With MIR enabled, most of the customers are now showing traffic equal to the plan for which they are paying - so we're very happy there.
  • We onboarded with cnMaestro (the cloud version). Not a bad system, will definitely take some getting used to.

If this works out, we'll be converting another 13 towers (and about 140 customers in total). Anyway, we did run into a few problems with which we could use help:

• We don't seem to be able to change passwords. Going to Configuration -> System, and changing the Administrator Account password pops up the option to save, but after save/reboot the password is once again "admin". It's not a huge problem (we have a separate management VLAN, and there's no way to get to it from the outside world) - but we'd really like to not have everything on a default password.
  • We tried to use bridge mode, with a data VLAN (94). This would mirror the UBNT setup, which bridges LAN0 with WLAN0.94. When we do this, the bridge table under Monitor -> Network is empty. It's also empty when connecting via SSH. We'd really like to be able to replicate this setup (to avoid NATing the customer's router, which also NATs). [When we do bridge mode without the data VLAN, it shows clients; am I misunderstanding the VLAN role here? I thought it was a VLAN on the wireless side, untagged on the LAN port]
  • When connecting via SSH (attempting to see if the bridge table showed anything there), the UI reports Parse error in /etc/busybox.conf, line 2: user. It repeats the error when a command is entered, but does show the command result. It doesn't look like it wants to give me a proper *NIX shell, so I'm not sure what the busybox.conf file says.

If anyone can offer some advice on the password change, I'd appreciate it. Bridge mode is a nicety (we can live without it), but I'd definitely prefer to get it going also if possible.

4 Likes

Welcome to Cambium Country! This sounds like a pretty good first time elevate experience! I'm sure some of these wrinkles can be ironed out. There's constant improvements being made to the ePMP and Elevate platforms and I'm sure some forum members and Cambium staff will chime in soon with some suggestions.

If you do decide to do NAT on the LAN interface of the radio... ePMP radios do support uPNP and NAT-PMP, which makes it a whole lot friendlier to modern routers and downstream devices. That's what we use with all of our ePMP client radios and it works very well, even with routers downstream.

4 Likes

Thanks - it's good to be here. uPNP + NAT-PMP do look like they will help; I turned them on for a test client, and they are doing well. We continue to be impressed with the performance of Elevated systems; we're up to 10 now, and no complaints (a few "hey, I have speed now - I'll stream all day!" - but that's a good thing overall).

One other oddity has showed up; two AirGrids report that their Ethernet port is offline on the Home screen, but show a DHCP lease and traffic (so the port is obviously up). Not a biggie, but had us worried briefly before we saw the "down" port pulling 6 Mb!

The password changing remains a mystery. I've double-checked, and we can't change the password on any of the SMs. It saves, and then "admin/admin" still works - with or without a reboot.

1 Like

@thebracket wrote:

Thanks - it's good to be here. uPNP + NAT-PMP do look like they will help; I turned them on for a test client, and they are doing well. We continue to be impressed with the performance of Elevated systems; we're up to 10 now, and no complaints (a few "hey, I have speed now - I'll stream all day!" - but that's a good thing overall).

One other oddity has showed up; two AirGrids report that their Ethernet port is offline on the Home screen, but show a DHCP lease and traffic (so the port is obviously up). Not a biggie, but had us worried briefly before we saw the "down" port pulling 6 Mb!

The password changing remains a mystery. I've double-checked, and we can't change the password on any of the SMs. It saves, and then "admin/admin" still works - with or without a reboot.

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Are you running Elevator script from Windows or Linux laptop?

Issue with password and errors in console are results of same reason.

It may happen when you runnin Elevator Tool from windows laptop and modified passwd file.

it is caused by:

http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~krueger/csc209h/tut/line-endings.html

We will try to fix this issue on Elevator Tool side in the next release.

Issue with Ethernet port is known one and we are going to fix it in the next release of ePMP/Elevate FW.

Your understanding regarding Data VLAN is corect. Tagged traffic on Wireless side is untagged on SM's LAN side.

Thank you.

2 Likes