ePMP Elevate Migration video

Get your migration done right with tips in this video. Please post your comments and questions in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGFNywsET4U

1 Like

It is possible to share a bit more details on how we can possibly upgrade the Client Software from remote (over the air) and have it connect to the EPMP AP , so that we can do this from remote.

The presentations is not very clear on how this is complished... (It suggests that the client does not keep SSID/Password/IP address information, but somehow it will connect to the EPMP AP, and allow the operator to modify other settings over the air )

Thanks

From the webinar, you are correct Faisal.

Epmp works diffferent at default levels. Your AP will have to have a unique ssid (well, doesnt but probably will), but keep the default wpa passkey for the new device to associate with it.

IMO it reads like you would just have to change your AP to a default wpa key at the same time you are doing a mass upgrade from say air control. Then you can control things from Maestro to mass change the settings back. (WPA key, and such)

Not perfect, but seemingly doable.

And in our case, change the epmp AP to TDD mode during the mass upgrade. Since TDD mode is the only thing available on the elevate firmware devices.

As far as I've been able to figure out, it's pretty much going to be a matter of setting up the APs so that ePMP's can connect at default settings, and then go through them one by one and change any settings that are unique to that subscriber. Depending on your config, that might not even be necessary - you might be able to just do a mass update of things like passwords and WPA2 keys through cnmaestro and be done, but in our case it is going to be necessary to go through and configure every radio. Certainly not a deal breaker for me, but it is going to make it a bit more time consuming that it would ideally be.

They talk about keeping the Management IP address.  Will it keep the clients PPPoE Information so they connect back to Radius, since thatis the only IP address in the device.

Jason

@remotelylocated wrote:

They talk about keeping the Management IP address.  Will it keep the clients PPPoE Information so they connect back to Radius, since thatis the only IP address in the device.

Jason

I'm assuming not, but I'll find out as soon as they release the software. We're doing PPPoE on our stuff, but our ePMPs are configured to use a separate management IP, which they get from DHCP. So, if they clear all the PPPoE settings and just fall back to DHCP, we'll be fine, but if it sets the management to the UBNT's inside private IP, that we'll be a problem... which means we would have to go through and switch them all into bridge mode and change the IPs before upgrading them.

If you don't have a DHCP server active (we don't on most of our ubnt network), I guess the easiest solution would probably be set them all to static IPs that you can access before upgrading, and then re-configure them all with the proper PPPoE information afterwards. Not ideal, but short of Cambium trying to transfer over all the settings (which I personnaly don't think would be a good idea), you're probably going to end up having to manually fix some configuration on every SM after the upgrade anyway.

We will most likley have a slight problem been that every site is VLAN'd. Once we use elevate we wont have access to the Radio's as the Management VLAN will be missing.

Bit of work for the network team I guess, gotta get those VLAN removed. 

Hi remotelylocated,

No, only Device name, IP address, netmask and default gateway are used at this time.

Thanks,

Dmitry

I know the video said it's best to put the devices in bridge mode before upgrading, but if they are in router mode, which IP address will it use?