ePMP Elevate

where do we mail the thank-you card for this wonderful idea!?!?!?!

3 Likes

Cambium - the Webinar said 5/10/20/40 Mhz channels.  Does that mean that with Firmware 3.2, we'll be able to select 2.5ms frames and get 5/10 Mhz channel widths like we used to, or does 3.2 limite 5/10Mhz channels to 5ms frames still?

@Chris_Bay wrote:

where do we mail the thank-you card for this wonderful idea!?!?!?!

You can send them to me.  I like to call it ''Thanking Cambium by Proxy".

Also, Cambium really like Captain Morgan Spiced Rum - so send me a bottle of that as well, and I'll "drink it for them by proxy". ;)

1 Like

@wispwest wrote:

QUESTION, I missed part of the webinar, did they mention how this works with MikrotiK???

They said that MikroTik would be future, so still under development.  And possibly others, depending on demand and hardware capabilities.  As far as after the upgrade (or the ELEVATION) it will look/feel like a Cambium SM, so with the Cambium ePMP GUI - but the native firmware is removed.  No more WinBox, no more MTik CLI - just the Cambium GUI.

Quick dumb question:-

Will this work with the regular EPMP AP  as well or just the EPMP 2000 ?

Thank you.

Faisal

Elevate will work with both GPS Sync 1000 and 2000 access points.

-Garrett

3 Likes

Time to put these puppies to a good test on how well they do in 'rough' interference environment !

retorical question...  how quickly we can get these ubnt upgrade licenses !  

:)

2 Likes

Yes, but only GPS APs. So if you have any non-GPS radios acting as APs, they would need to be replaced.

1 Like

@Mathew Howard wrote:

Yes, but only GPS APs. So if you have any non-GPS radios acting as APs, they would need to be replaced.

Understood, using this with non-gps AP sort of defeats the purpose...

-------

assumption applied:-

EPMP's are consdidered to be superior over UBNT Airmax M radios becuase of  GPS sync capabilites.  

Specically, GPS Sync allows for mitigation over fair to mild levels of interference (should do very well over non-gps sync radios, and either all or nothing with other gps-syncd radios). 

Additionally alow of freq. reuse 

-------

in my opinion if one is converting using non-gps AP's , they are missing the major key !

2 Likes

Yup, agreed.

We do have a few non-GPS ePMP APs that were put up in areas where sync didn't matter (before Lite APs were a thing), but there was only one that I would've actually considered doing this on, and that one has already been replaced with a GPS AP anyhow.

Ok, so if this does not work out for whatever reason - is it possible to put the Ubnt software back on the SM? I don't expect I would ever want to do so, but just in case...

@jakkwb wrote:

Ok, so if this does not work out for whatever reason - is it possible to put the Ubnt software back on the SM? I don't expect I would ever want to do so, but just in case...

yes, the TFTP recovery method will restore the ubnt software

2 Likes

Awesome. I know its way early - has anyone tried this out yet?

@jakkwb wrote:

Awesome. I know its way early - has anyone tried this out yet?

I haven't yet, but i just ordered 10 single packs to play with around my network. 

1 Like

I could not understand the answer in the webinar. How do I get the converted Ubnt SM to register to the EPMP AP without a truck roll? I know he said something about a default password...

Hi jakkwb,

The Non-Cambium SM when booting as ePMP device the first time scans all channels for all bandwidths so it can find an ePMP AP with Elevate license.

Dan

2 Likes

A lot of Mikrotik stuff here.

Could be a great opportunity for us..

Many thanks.

Hi jakkwb,

It seems I didn't make it clear during the webinar.

After the SM is converted it will scan all 5/10/20/40MHz channels for all available Cambium Access Points.

It will try to connect to the one with the highest RSSI level using default WPA2 password("Cam39-Tai!wdmv"). If it fails it will try next one. It will continue doing it in the loop until it manages to connect.

Dmitry

2 Likes

The only problem with that is, if we want to to connect to one of our existing ePMP APs (we have several that cover the same areas as ubiquiti APs), we're going to have to change the key. It would be nice if they would connect to an open AP by default, so we could just turn off WPA2 until we get everything reconfigured.

I agree, maybe they could upgrade the AP's so they have a secondary WPA2 key that is the default key and can be enabled/disabled at will. 

Preferbaly without a reboot after the feature is added.

2 Likes