ePMP Elevate

Ok, so if this does not work out for whatever reason - is it possible to put the Ubnt software back on the SM? I don't expect I would ever want to do so, but just in case...

@jakkwb wrote:

Ok, so if this does not work out for whatever reason - is it possible to put the Ubnt software back on the SM? I don't expect I would ever want to do so, but just in case...

yes, the TFTP recovery method will restore the ubnt software

2 Likes

Awesome. I know its way early - has anyone tried this out yet?

@jakkwb wrote:

Awesome. I know its way early - has anyone tried this out yet?

I haven't yet, but i just ordered 10 single packs to play with around my network. 

1 Like

I could not understand the answer in the webinar. How do I get the converted Ubnt SM to register to the EPMP AP without a truck roll? I know he said something about a default password...

Hi jakkwb,

The Non-Cambium SM when booting as ePMP device the first time scans all channels for all bandwidths so it can find an ePMP AP with Elevate license.

Dan

2 Likes

A lot of Mikrotik stuff here.

Could be a great opportunity for us..

Many thanks.

Hi jakkwb,

It seems I didn't make it clear during the webinar.

After the SM is converted it will scan all 5/10/20/40MHz channels for all available Cambium Access Points.

It will try to connect to the one with the highest RSSI level using default WPA2 password("Cam39-Tai!wdmv"). If it fails it will try next one. It will continue doing it in the loop until it manages to connect.

Dmitry

2 Likes

The only problem with that is, if we want to to connect to one of our existing ePMP APs (we have several that cover the same areas as ubiquiti APs), we're going to have to change the key. It would be nice if they would connect to an open AP by default, so we could just turn off WPA2 until we get everything reconfigured.

I agree, maybe they could upgrade the AP's so they have a secondary WPA2 key that is the default key and can be enabled/disabled at will. 

Preferbaly without a reboot after the feature is added.

2 Likes

@jakkwb wrote:

yes, you are able to flash the UBNT SW back onto the units.

@Chris 1 wrote:

I agree, maybe they could upgrade the AP's so they have a secondary WPA2 key that is the default key and can be enabled/disabled at will. 

Preferbaly without a reboot after the feature is added.

Yeah, the default WPA key issue is a deal-breaker for the no-truck-roll upgrade for me.  I could always hang another AP with an omni temporarily (with the default key) I suppose and then move people over.  That means trips to sites but it is certainly less driving in total.

1 Like

What? No 2.4 Ghz options :( Are there plans to support UBNT NSM2, Powerbeam M2?

@mattorola wrote:

What? No 2.4 Ghz options :( Are there plans to support UBNT NSM2, Powerbeam M2?

It's on the roadmap outlined in the webinar.

LOL.  Guys, if you watch the webinar replay, most of your questions are already answered in there. :)

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-Elevate/ePMP-Elevate-webinar-replay/m-p/62777#U62777

So if you have an EPMP 1000 or 2000 on your tower using something OTHER than the default cambiump WPA password upgrading a 3rd party UBNT device will not re-associate.

I for one dont use the "default" cambium wpa password and I think  no one else does as that would be stupid as then anyone with an EPMP client like a competitor would be able to connect to your network and cause havoc?

So either way I need to do a truck roll to the customer to at least log into the UBNT hardware flashed with Elevate to input the correct security key for my AP.

When I reflash if the UBNT is set to DHCP will it default to 192.168.0.2 if it cant connect to an AP due to the wrong security key?

Please cprrect me if I am wrong  in my thinking here?

I guess you could but you would have to buy a license  key for your temp AP with default wpa. If I am not mistaken here?

Wow!  Cambium have always had massive kudos in my books - just the way they do stuff.  It works from the outset, it launches when they say it will, and it does what it says on the tin.  Rare to find with the other vendors (including the newer entrants).

However, this Elevate has risen them to another level altogether.  Cambium have managed to integrate UBNT's 802.11n SM's with their GPS synchronised, beam forming, proprietary 802.11 MAC platform FASTER than Ubiquiti could do the same with their OWN hardware and their 802.11ac AirMax stuff (AirOS8 is still in beta right?).  It just shows the quality of Cambiums engineers.  

Plus, this also opens a whole new range of SM options.

Simply amazing and well done Cambium.  

Rich

3 Likes

@accelwireless wrote:

I for one dont use the "default" cambium wpa password and I think  no one else does as that would be stupid as then anyone with an EPMP client like a competitor would be able to connect to your network and cause havoc?

So either way I need to do a truck roll to the customer to at least log into the UBNT hardware flashed with Elevate to input the correct security key for my AP.

I suspect the roll-out plan for elevate would be done on a per-sector/site basis.  In which case you have a temp "provisioning" AP that you move around from site to site as you do each sector.

Would be nice if v3.3 could include a second "provisioning" SSID on the AP for this purpose.

Rich

1 Like

@richinuk wrote:

I suspect the roll-out plan for elevate would be done on a per-sector/site basis.  In which case you have a temp "provisioning" AP that you move around from site to site as you do each sector.

Would be nice if v3.3 could include a second "provisioning" SSID on the AP for this purpose.

Rich

That's a really interesting idea... give the ePMP AP the ability to have a second default SSID and WPA key, just for conversion purposes. Then once you've converted all the UBNT clients, you can move them out of the default pool, into the main SSID and WPA key pool. Maybe there's even some security measures in there where anyone in the default/secondary SSID pool can't reach the internet. Would be awesome to just push a button and instantly convert/move all clients from the default pool into the main pool (it would push an SSID and WPA change to all clients instantly).

1 Like