14.5 mile (23.km) epmp ePTP link

Recently we had a perfect test for the ePMP gear on a long ptp where we would have to use the force 110 dishes on both sides of the link. This link has been up and running now for almost 3 months and hasn't skipped a beat, including when running beta firmware.

We launched service in a new area, burried in a canyon.  We leased fiber to the new area but also needed a viable RF backup path and I had been wanting to trial some of the ePMP radios that I had purchased and had been playing with at the office. Due to the space/wind loading limitations along the path we were limited to a smaller dish.  We installed the standard ePMP connectorized radios and force 110 dishes at both sides of one link.  

RSSI hovers around -65 on each end and we are getting about 60~70Mbps in either direction at a time on a 20Mhz channel depending on current MCS rates.  Both sides are solar powered and aside from the annoying reverse polarity that cambium employs I really enjoy the wide input voltage range.  Currently running in ePTP mode.

This is only one hop in the RF path, the rest is UBNT including their AC and AF5x lines, but I'm impressed with Cambium none the less.

4 Likes

Is this a solar powered station with no power lines at all?

Yes, all solar at this site.

1 Like

Did you use the LINKPlanner software to design the link? 

LINKPlanner was not used to design the link.  LINKPlanner does estimate the link characteristics well, though it does underestimate the performance each way in ePTP mode.  This is always a pleasant surprise.

Hi my friend i install cámbium whit solar system. You have pictures about your conexión eléctric solar, send me message to mi email microsecom@hotmail.com. I could send picture my products.

Speaking of Solar...   we have a few Solar Sites which work OK for the most part, but occasionally we run into the 3 weeks without sun situation. We have a generator on site, BUT we need to drive to fuel and start the generator.

SO - does anyone have a recommendation for a remote (2-wire) fuel-on/start/stop/fuel-off generator to recarge the batteries?  We arleay have a remote relay on site, so we can remotely throw the switch on/off to close/open a circit. Most electric start generators still need to have the fuel turned on and off, and most still need to have the choke manually pulled.  So, I'm looking for a completely automated 2-wire type generateor solution to run the battery charger.

any info on where to purchase these solar systems would be appreciated.

Most of the hardware can be purchased at your local hardware store (strut, nuts/bolts, fence post, wire, etc).  I'm fortunate to have a solar supply company about 5 minutes from home and purchase panels directly from them.  Batteries are best sourced locally due to weight, but Amazon has some great deals on AGM batteries with free prime shipping.

Charge controllers, din breakers, and other specific stuff I tend to purchase either direct from the manufacturer or from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun.

@ninedd wrote:

Speaking of Solar...   we have a few Solar Sites which work OK for the most part, but occasionally we run into the 3 weeks without sun situation. We have a generator on site, BUT we need to drive to fuel and start the generator.

SO - does anyone have a recommendation for a remote (2-wire) fuel-on/start/stop/fuel-off generator to recarge the batteries?  We arleay have a remote relay on site, so we can remotely throw the switch on/off to close/open a circit. Most electric start generators still need to have the fuel turned on and off, and most still need to have the choke manually pulled.  So, I'm looking for a completely automated 2-wire type generateor solution to run the battery charger.

@I don't have any remote-start generator tips for you @ninedd.  There has been discussion off and on about this the the dslreports wisp forum and also on facebook.

We're in the same boat as you, it seems  that the last two winters have brought occasional many-week stretches of cloudy days, especially since a number of our sites are on ridge tops that sit in the clouds when storms are around.  I always size battery banks for 7 days or absolute darkness to %50 battery at the least, so even in the long stretches there is usually enough reserve since the panels will generate some power even when the clouds are dark.  

MPPT charge controllers are also a must, the extra little bit of power can be a life saver.