16 more APs

Adding 16 more APs this week on two different towers giving us a total of 138 APs all within 49 square mile area. Thanks GPS sync.

13 Likes

This is really good being able to see!

This is a great experience - can you explain the antennas that you are using and how it is helping the network?

Thanks

Sure thing Ray,

they are KP Performance dual frequency sectors.   (www.kpperformance.ca for spec sheets) 

we've been using these sectors for 2 major reasons,  cutting down co-location costs (for us $100/month)  very impressive RF performance. The KPs have very tight vertical and horizontal beams,   just 4.8 degrees vertical and are insulated down to about 95 degrees horizontally.    this tight beam really helps dealing with frequency re-use, avoiding horizon noise and good control on our reach.   couple that with GPS sync and they've helped us stack a very very dense access network in very poor terrain.   

we've been using these sectors on the larger towers, cambium sectors  (2.4 mostly) on utility poles to fill in our poor served areas. the utility poles uplink to these sectors with the 5ghz radios.

3 Likes

I assume those the dual 2.4 and 5ghz sectors from KP? We just used four of those at a new tower site and really  liking the performance and the rent savings by using using these. They are a bit big and heavy though!

Alongside an 11 and 18ghz PTP820's:

Alongside an ePMP PtP BH:

Alongside a PTP650 BH:

7 Likes

yes they are Eric.    We've got several of them out there and they're probably the best overall antennas we've ever used.

1 Like

Where did you acquire that mast mounting system?  Is that something you made?

@Nathan Dothager wrote:

Where did you acquire that mast mounting system?  Is that something you made?

Are you asking me about the mounts on the water tower?

Yeah, I’ve never seen them before.

Good Stuff Chris.  The picture is worth a thousand words here.  Thanks for posting.  

Also - We are increasing our attention on all the accessories, so, please, everyone, keep the feedback coming.

Bryan

1 Like

Great Photo's Eric - and terrific looking installations, someone was taking a lot of pride in their work.  

Thanks for sharing!

Bryan Sheppeck

Hi Chris,

it looks like a great solution!

Please, bear in mind these dual-sector antennas seem to have a F/B isolation lower than 30 dB, which might not help to reuse frequence channels on an ABAB deployment (well, this will look more like (AB)(CD)(AB)(CD) !)

It would also be good to see it ePMP2000-ready, with attachments for our Smart Antenna.

Cheers,

Fran

I’ve had a smart antenna answer for these in the back of my mind. I haven’t had time to play with it though. Physical I believe it will fit. The 2000 does fit on the mount, we’ve used some to cleanup co-band noise. I notice the spec sheets mark these below 30, but their field performance suggests otherwise. Majority of our cpes are uplinking st mcs15 (5ghz cpes) with AB reuse. We also take the time to tilt the sectors carefully and the radio graphic does look much cleaner at the tilted angle from the flat ftb setup. The cpes usually show the backside AP more than 30 DB. And we also keep the front and back antennas as far apart as possible on towers if that actually has any bearing or not, unsure. 1 of these sets are going to a monopole with a 14’ deck , the other is going to a lattice and will be sperated about 15’. But fair warning to other users, the sectors do claim to be less ftb than cambium recommends for AB reuse. Oh and definitely don’t try these as 120, they won’t be happy.

@Chris_Bay wrote:

Adding 16 more APs this week on two different towers giving us a total of 138 APs all within 49 square mile area. Thanks GPS sync.

Chris,

Did you look at experimenting with the RF Elements horn antennas at some point?  I am looking to see if we could see a deployment where we can increase the density on a tower with their antennas given the reduction in side lobes.

Sakid

1 Like

@Sakid Ahmed wrote:

@Chris_Bay wrote:

Chris,

Did you look at experimenting with the RF Elements horn antennas at some point?  I am looking to see if we could see a deployment where we can increase the density on a tower with their antennas given the reduction in side lobes.

Sakid

We have used them limitedly, I don't care for the cone shaped RF pattern. given we have so many sectors in very close promixity, we can tilt these down and control the noise shot to the horzon. with the horns, tilting them down far enough to keep the noise off of the horizon kills the usable horizontal beam width.   these particular sectors will be tilted to provide service for just 2 miles.  if we were to use 30 degree horns, and tilt them 19 degrees to match the limit that i have these sectors tilted to, the horn would give us about 12.5 degrees of the coverage i'm after, needing 30 horns for the same converage.  OR if we took 15 degree tilt and just allowed some of it to hit horizon, we'd have 20 degrees to work with needing 18 horns.      I've used the horns to fill areas that are weak and near the tower, or to take load off of a sector if a large group of subscribers are near by.  I've used a force 110 dish to do that one time as well, had about 40 subs in some duplexes a couple miles out that conviently fit into the small beam width of the dish :)         I think a lot of areas can benifit from the horns, but our mix is   60% 2.4 ghz and no horns for us there.  if there was a way to make a square horn or in some way cut the top of the antenna pattern to a half circle shape, I'd be all over it.