2.4 Omni with epmp ?

I am wondering which is  the best omni to use on my tower while I change out all my ubnt client to epmp clients. I want to put up a omni antenna using a epmp 2.4 ap while I switch out all my clients from unbt and then after all the clients are changed over in a week put up my 90 degree epmp sectors. Any thoughts on good omnis that will work in this case. I would like be have at least a 13dbi omni. 

http://www.kpperformance.ca/2-4ghz-13-dbi-dual-pol-h-v-omni

I haven't used their 2.4 omni, but I've had good luck with their 5 ghz omni.

1 Like

we've used both of thier omnis, the dual slant worked slighty better in genral performance over the dual liner as far has holding higher MCS  but huge price diffrence.

you'll want to keep about 15 mhz guard band between the rockets and the epmp while running togher, they still annoy each other that close, but its manageable. the EPMP ran much better for us once the ubnt was powered down.  

Did you see any dbi and or performance gain from Epmp to UBNT after you got it changed over using 4 sectors ? I guess what I am trying to ask is lets say I have a client that is currently at -73 when I switch to Epmp would I see that -73 get to a better signal/data rate or was what you had on your UBNT gear basically the same signal and or data rate as your ubnt gear had? Also doe sthe epmp gear react differently if you have a couple clients with marginal signals vs dropping down the entire ap through put rate like the ubnt does?

@pgator17 wrote:

Did you see any dbi and or performance gain from Epmp to UBNT after you got it changed over using 4 sectors ? I guess what I am trying to ask is lets say I have a client that is currently at -73 when I switch to Epmp would I see that -73 get to a better signal/data rate or was what you had on your UBNT gear basically the same signal and or data rate as your ubnt gear had? Also doe sthe epmp gear react differently if you have a couple clients with marginal signals vs dropping down the entire ap through put rate like the ubnt does?

Yes, absolutly.  The client "air fairness" in the epmp is astoundingly better than UBNT.

4 Likes

@pgator17 wrote:

That's hard to answer. If your using 3 ubnt sectors and you've got a sucriber who hears 2 of them evenly they are 6 points off of center power. Assuming you go 4 sectors and that sub ends up center power you can be as much as 6 points higher power. Running 4 sectors will reduce your edges to 3 points instead of 6 so if you install them correcly. You'll see some power gained everywhere when subs here 2 panels at similar powers. Cambiums air interface does a great job delivering even air time to all subs so you don't have one weak signal killing your entire sector. 

1 Like

I'm curious why you don't put the ePmp into "Wifi" mode until everyone is migrated over to new gear and then flip it over to TDD??

That's what we have been doing in markets we have MT and UBNT subscribers..

Also,

KP just raised the price of their Omni's again. Their quality has gone to crap and their prices still go up. I'm looking at l-comm Omnis these days and Itelite sectors.

You can't possibly be complaining about the quality of KP antennas and suggest IT Elite as an alternative.  There's no objective way you could honestly compare the two.  I tried IT Elite dual band sectors and I am extremely disappointed in the f/b ratio.

Let me preface this by saying, I'm not here to start a fight.

That being said. I have had good luck with Itelite as a 90° sector. The Lack of FB comes from the lack of shielding that would come with RF armor, and/or KP..

KP claims their new 120° antennas are actually 120° and that the old ones they were selling as 120° sectors are/were actually 90°.. When I called them out on how sh#$&^tty that was they told me that was Martin and he's not with them anymore.

Now, the new sectors are even more expensive and you can't even get the stupid cover off the back of the sector with out taking the mounting hardwar completely off at the top or bottom, the UBNT radios don't fit unless you zip-tie them to the epmp bracket that came with sector, and the last batch I got the holes on the cover didn't even line up with the angles slots on the bird house...

Now, the Itelite dual bands are working good for me in a 4 sector configuration with FrontBack re-use enabled on ePmp..

All that at nearly 1/2 the price even after using 4 instead of 3 APs..

I have decide to put everyhone in wifi mode until I change out each sector. One sector that I only have 12 clients on I am going to do all in one shot and I am excited to see how the 90 degree slant preforms on that sector. Now my biggest issue is should I wait until cambium release a 2.4 version of the force 110 or go with connectorized sm's and use rocket 24dbi for some of my marginal clients. Any thoughts on this. ??