2.4 Spectrum Analyzer results

I’ve been doing some rough scanning to see if an area that was full of 900 mhz noise we could use with 2.4 ghz.

Here are 2 screenshots. What I see is RF in every frequency but its not constant. One time its a few, 5 seconds later, its another few, sometimes none, but its never a lot.

Can anyone help determine what I’m seeing? Thanks.

FHSS - Is there another WISP that might be using Alvarion?

There is only 2 WISPs in the area where I did that scan that I’m aware of.

Another Canopy, and the other I’m not sure, its an 802.11 based as I can see them thru my laptop wifi card at various places. Not sure if its mesh or what.

Either way, would this interfere with a 2.4 Canopy system do you think?

with that high of signal across the board youre going to have a hard time. You may try to locate the WISPs and see if theyre willing to work with you, they probably wont, but its worth a shot. If they do work with you, they will probably only allot you enough space for an omni, definetly not a full AP cluster.

Also the other Canopy WISP doesn’t do any 2.4 stuff. Only 5.4 and 5.7

If you can hold out, 700 white space might be ready by next year. alternately 3.65 license might be a good way to go.

Any idea of what liscensed spectrum costs?

Ill sell it to you for eight dollars and twenty six cents

silentsno wrote:
Any idea of what liscensed spectrum costs?

Most licensed spectrum is too expensive for any small WISP to ever justify. 3.65 is just a few hundred for the license, but the gear is spendy.

Public spectrum, although more challenging, is definitely the place to start out in, unless you have fat cats that can foot the bill on the licensed spectrum for you.

Get the license. By next year the gear will come down to something more reasonable. Ubiquity will have some card/antenna cominations, Moto may have a 3.65 400 series, and Deliberant may have something.

Whats some quality gear for the 3.65 I could look at?

Right now Redline is the main player - that’s because they were already doing 3.5GHz for other countries so they got the jump.

I think Alvarion has a 3.65 platform, and I know for a fact others are working on it.

Like anything else, early adopters foot the R&D bill.

On a final side note, based on the spectrum analysis, is the site I scanned pretty much a no-go for 2.4ghz then?

I wouldn’t try it.

Thanks for you help Jerry, in this post and the rest by searching this site. I think we’re going to go for 5.2 gHz

silentsno wrote:
Thanks for you help Jerry, in this post and the rest by searching this site. I think we're going to go for 5.2 gHz

5.2 is low power, and even if you have clear LOS from the AP to SM (PtMP) you'll probably have a tough time obtaining a [u:32cel6ev]reliable[/u:32cel6ev] link over 2-3mi. w/ EIRP within FCC limits. The extended range BH's (PTP) will go further (~10mi)
jwelch wrote:
[quote="silentsno":22xc8r33]Thanks for you help Jerry, in this post and the rest by searching this site. I think we're going to go for 5.2 gHz

5.2 is low power, and even if you have clear LOS from the AP to SM (PtMP) you'll probably have a tough time obtaining a [u:22xc8r33]reliable[/u:22xc8r33] link over 2-3mi. w/ EIRP within FCC limits. The extended range BH's (PTP) will go further (~10mi)[/quote:22xc8r33]

According to LastMileGear with a stinger Antenna I can get 6 miles with the 5.2 using their Cyclone 120 Sector Access Point.
silentsno wrote:
[quote="jwelch":1rk3rw0z][quote="silentsno":1rk3rw0z]Thanks for you help Jerry, in this post and the rest by searching this site. I think we're going to go for 5.2 gHz

5.2 is low power, and even if you have clear LOS from the AP to SM (PtMP) you'll probably have a tough time obtaining a [u:1rk3rw0z]reliable[/u:1rk3rw0z] link over 2-3mi. w/ EIRP within FCC limits. The extended range BH's (PTP) will go further (~10mi)[/quote:1rk3rw0z]

According to LastMileGear with a stinger Antenna I can get 6 miles with the 5.2 using their Cyclone 120 Sector Access Point.[/quote:1rk3rw0z]

i would love to see that.

I wouldn’t count on it.

I was skeptical too. But I had done some projections using Radio_Mobile on the new networking using either 5.4 or 5.2 and it looks fine for my use.

Then I just realized I forgot the Forest factor in the calculations, and BAM there went all the coverage. :stuck_out_tongue:

Damn. I don’t think 5.7 gHz will work for us either. This area is just heavy with RF its sickening.