2.4GHz Sector antenna RF Elements vs Cambium

Hi,

Reviewing sector 2.4GHz sector antennas for the ePMP series and new deployment.  Any feedback on the RF Elements vs Cambium.

There are two advantages I see far with Cambium's sector antenna, 1) Both 90 & 120 degrees are in the same antenna 2) Is in LINKPlanner.  (makes planning better).

Any real world experiences.   I know both antennas are fairly new to the market, so quality and how they hold over time may not be so revealing right now.  Especially where there is exposure to water or salt air from the seas.

Any feedback is welcomed.

Regards.

I believe that RF Elements makes the Cambium 2.4 sector.  It could only be the 5Ghz sector but I think I recall that they manufacture both of them.

Nope the 2.4 sector are made by Mars Antenna

1 Like

the 2.4 is mars, and it works very well.  

its not that 90 and 120 is in the same antenna, the same antenna can be used for both methods.  

there are technical differences in those models, if you deploy it as a 90 degree, you'll be at -3 db at your in between point on your APs. if you deploy it at 120 degress you'll be at -6 db between aps.   

most antennas are labelled at there -3 point, that is what makes one sector 90 degrees, or 60 degrees. 

UBNT started (i think they started it anyways) labeling sectors with only -6 edges. so the 2g15-90 is actually a 65 degree sector if you use the -3 points. but if you read it to -6 then its a 90.  same with there 120 degree sector, if you look at the -3 points then its a 90, not 120.      cambium was just a little more upfront about that. 

the  other number to watch is the front to back.    you NEED this high as possible if your using GPS.   the cambium antenna is 30 DB. which is pretty good.   i don't know the RF elements antenna rating.  

we've got 50 or so cambium panels deployed, oldest are little over a year. haven't had any issues yet.   the antennas have a clean pattern and the X pol is good for helping deal with physical obstruction, and small help with noise 

2 Likes

Hi.  Can someone from Cambium clarify what the current model of 2.4Ghz sector is?  Looking at many distributor's sites, the pictures physically looks like a RF Elements antenna, and yet the latest antennas we received are the MARS M340410100015 antennas.

If those are the latest, then that's fine - but I didn't want to be getting 'old stock' if there is a newer/better Cambium 2.4Ghz sector out now.

If someone has a picture they can post of the latest correct model, that woudl be great. :)

@ninedd wrote:

Hi.  Can someone from Cambium clarify what the current model of 2.4Ghz sector is?  Looking at many distributor's sites, the pictures physically looks like a RF Elements antenna, and yet the latest antennas we received are the MARS M340410100015 antennas.

If those are the latest, then that's fine - but I didn't want to be getting 'old stock' if there is a newer/better Cambium 2.4Ghz sector out now.

If someone has a picture they can post of the latest correct model, that woudl be great. :)

You are correct in that many of the product photos that distributors use show the Cambium OEM ePMP 2.4GHz antenna as the RF elements antenna. This picture is not correct however. The Cambium 2.4GHz OEM antenna is in fact a MARS antenna... and will be for the foreseeable future. As far as I know, Cambium is not re-designing any of their 2.4GHz sector antennas (PMP450 or ePMP). Lastly, the Cambium 2.4GHz OEM antennas are of very high quality, and have excellent F/B specifications, making them ideal for back to back frequency reuse.