2Mbps upload cap on Adv AP and classic SM?

I am running a classic SM (P10) with an Advantage AP (P9). When running bandwidth tests on it I am seeing 6.8Mbps download but only 2Mbps upload.

Is there a setting I’m missing or do I need to upgrade to an advantage SM to see any thing higher than 2Mbps on the upload?

In the end I’d like to give this customer the ability to burst to 5Mbps up and down. How long does a “burst” last for anyways?

Cheers.

I’ve the configuration source on the AP set to SM. And on the SM I have the following:

Sustained Uplink Data Rate : 3500(kbps) (Range: 0-- 7000 kbps)
Sustained Downlink Data Rate : 3500(kbps) (Range: 0-- 7000 kbps)
Uplink Burst Allocation : 500000(kbits) (Range: 0 – 500000 kbits)
Downlink Burst Allocation : 500000(kbits) (Range: 0 – 500000 kbits)

Link capacity test tell me that I have:

Stats for LUID: 2 Test Duration: 4 Pkt Length: 1522

Downlink RATE: 7283712 bps
Uplink RATE: 6549504 bps
Aggregate RATE: 13833216 bps
Pkt Xmt (Act/Exp): 2132/0
Pkt Rcv (Act/Exp): 2362/0

Downlink Efficiency: 98 Percent
Downlink Index (Act/Max): 98/100
Frag Count (Act/Exp): 57528/56904

Uplink Efficiency: 94 Percent
Uplink Index (Act/Max): 94/100
Frag Count (Act/Exp): 54268/51168

Classic SM = 14M burst/7M sustained

any idea why i’m only seeing 2Mbps upload? Based on my sustained/burst settings should I at least be seeing 3.5Mbps? My link capacity tests are telling me that the radios can handle 7.2/6.5Mbps.

Thanks for any help on this.

Sorry, should have read the original post more closely.

The radio is giving you close to 7M/7M. The problem is probably either a BH, or the connection to the Internet.

How are you testing the bandwidth? I have noticed that most speedtests do not provide accurate uplink results.

first i ran speakeasy.net/speedtest. But I also ran FTP tests to a server back at my data center and was again getting capped exactly at 255KB/s=2Mbps.

Do you have a BH between the AP and the server that is set to something other than 50%?

Otherwise I have no idea, the link test is good.

so i plugged into the switch on the same vlan as the client and recieved 6Mbps up/down. Next I programmed a 2nd SM and tested it at the base of the tower and also recieved 6Mbps up/down as well.

The RSSI/jitter stats are basically the same between the two, the only thing I noticed was that the jitter level bounces between 2 and 10 on both of the SM’s.

I might try realigning the SM this afternoon. Its installed on a tin roof so I’m not sure if i’m getting multipath or not. I’m still frustrated with getting good results on the link capacity test with the radios but not with speed/ftp test while using the link.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Cheers

If you were having a multi-path problem you’d see it in the link test. This sounds to be like the customer has a crappy router and/or an auto-negotiation issue.

What kind of router do they have?

Try forcing both the SM and their router to 100 Full duplex and then do a speed test.

Also, the answer to your question about how long a burst lasts. The bursting speeds last for 500000 kbits, so roughly 61 mb.

the client has a fairly high end juniper router on his side. However, we currently have both the router and SM set to 10Full as this was what the the former radio required. I’ll try setting them both to auto/auto and see if this makes a difference.