3KL GPS issue on 4.5.4 official

Well we had another 3000L start losing sync a few days ago (running 4.4.3 on all ePMP right now) and trying to shift channels around on all the other radios so I run it without sync has proven to be… difficult. If it was a PTP link I would just replace the thing with a 5xHD like all the other 3000L PTP links but this is an AP with about 23 customers on it…

This AP is on a split sector with our other 3000L AP and without getting a new contract / agreement with the tower owner (something that can’t be done in a hurry) I can’t just stick another sector on the tower with a 3000 on it. So my two options seemed to be either I replace the 3000L with a 2000 like we have done at two other locations, or I try to connect a 3000 using only 2 chains (something that is very iffy on if it will work).

However I have lots of those old 1000 series pucks laying around, I may try one of them (the 3000L’s currently have the 2000 series square pucks on them).

Actually, climbing the towers over and over is getting old so on second thought probably just going to replace both 3000L AP’s up there with 2000’s until I find a way to make 3000 work on that tower.

I would still be really interested to know how long the new pucks keep your 3000L’s synced.

1 Like

Since we’ve installed the GPS pucks we have had 0 issues.
Moving forward, we will not be installing any more 3000L APs unless we have the pucks.

Olá , eu estava com problemas, fiz o downgrade para 4.5 e praticamente resolveu.

we have installed about 30 between ePMP3000s and ePMP3000Ls all with 4.5.6 and GPS pucks, they are installed on towers near the mobile cells, on some ePMP3000 it is not possible to enable GPS Sync because the radio transmitter does not start. We cannot understand if the internal hardware of the devices is different and why this only happens in some sites. My question is: if we use the internal GPS of the radio, so it works correctly, is the effectiveness of the transmission to the CPEs equal or worse than when GPS sync is enabled via puks?

thanks cetalfio

The pucks are just an external LNBA antenna. These are used for radios that are not able to see the satellites because of a tower structure or an antenna being in the way. These also need to be sheilded from cellular emissions as they are in the same spectrum and do not get blocked. We place ours on the south of the tower and have had to place small sheilding plates around a couple to mitigate the cellular issue. We also use the onboard gps as a backup to our main timing that uses Packetflux as these just work.

1 Like

hi do you resolve the issue whit GPS in all 3000L system , usually whit the version 4.5.6 still down some tim es and if you activate the sync this disconnect the SM client and only way to restore is turn off and turn on this , this happen next to update this version and gps version too. its a way to download the gps version , or doesn’t has any relation wit the issue

So with the packetflux sync do you see improved modulation at the AP?

I think you are confusing things, the GPS sync has nothing to do with modulation rates. It does have everything to do with self interference on your network. Modulation rates are determined by the strength and clarity of the signal in each way.

Self interference is best described as having one or more APs transmitting at different times regardless of which tower the APs are on. Sync makes sure that every AP transmits at exactly the same time but relys on the AP configuration to ensure the same amount of transmit time with the same guard time.

The 3kL has an internal gps antenna but it is omnidirectional. Omni antennas receive signals from 360 degrees. The puck is a 120 degree panel antenna (albeit a small one), whn placed face up it has a good look to most of the sky but also has the ability to receive interference from cellular towers. Placing the puck on the tower leg or similar structure pointed south (if in the north) limits the ability to receive signals to one small arc which you can position to minimize cellular interference. Remember there are a lot of gos satellites up there and you only need four to get a 3D fix and ensure good sync timing.

Packetflux sync does not actually work on the 3kL, I had found an artifact in the old firmware that is nolonger there and didnt actually work as there is no circuitry inside the radio to make the pulse. We still power our 3KL radios from a packetflux injector. For full 3000s, 2000s and 1000s (lite included) you will see a boost in stability due to sync not being an issue anymore. Just make sure you order cambium sync for 2000s and 3000s APs. 1000s can use canopy sync (cmm3 sync)

1 Like

Marco, we have had very good sync stability with 4.5.6 firmware, not fully stable but loss of SMs isnt usually a sync issue from what we have seen. What he have been doing is clients that lose sync often, we have been using the 4.6rc29 and have seen better stability.

Best advice, make sure all your APs and SMs are on the same firmware. Right now I suggest 4.5.6 with 4.6rc only if there is a major problem.