4.9GHz channels?

OK, I have an ePMP3000L and an ePMP MP3000, both running 4.6.1 firmware. Both offer frequencies from 4950 to 4980 at 20MHz wide channel. But as far as I can see, there is no way to get any client devices to work on those channels?? Force300-25, Force180 are our most common client units, and regardless of firmware version they don’t offer those channels, and when I select 4950 at the AP, nobody will connect. (nearly all are on 4.6.1, couple still on 4.6.0.1)

So am I missing something, or are those frequencies just not supported (yet?) on SMs?

j

Are you in a region where 4.9 use is allowed? If the country code was set to “other” on the CPE then it would work, but I’m not sure if that is something that can be done on recent firmware versions, regardless of legality.

Sorry, we’re in FCC land, North Carolina.

j

4.9 is the public safety band in FCC land (although I think that is changing?), so unless you are a licensed agency…

1 Like

Force 300-16+MicroPOP 3000
4950 without any problem :slight_smile:

Yes, 4.9 is “Public Safety” band in FCC areas, that screenshot indicates ROW/ETSI and ‘other’. My understanding was that 4.9 would be opening up for some use. Per FCC announcement about 9 months ago. But it seems the FCC recently announced a hold on that plan.

To be clear, I’m not trying to actively use those channels, I just noticed the additional channels available on a new 3000L (FCC) on my workbench (first 3000L for us) but couldn’t find anything SM-wise that seemed to offer the same channels. Looking further I saw that our one live MP3000 in the field offered them as well, though no clients would register when I selected 4.950 for a 5 minute test a few nights ago. Those were also two of the first APs (plus an ePMP1000) I’d put 4.6.1 firmware on. I’m just seeking information. My expectation was (lacking awareness of recent hold) that we might have access to those channels after consulting/licensing discussions for our rural area in NC/SC.

j

We encountered to confusions as well, thinking we had some new freqs we could use. We did try to utilize the frequency on a PTP BH with F300-25’s but the max power level restriction for a 6 mile shot was to low to be of any use. Right now, only utility we see for those frequencies would be for a short range back haul.

1 Like