450i 900mhz performance guesstimates

We've been primarily a Wimax shop with a bit of 2.4 built in and are interested in learning real world performance of the new 450i 900 stuff. I know it's just getting out there now, but I'd love to get some opinions.

- We're looking at a new tower that's rural and heavily treed (think 80 foot pines pretty much everywhere). We can get on this tower up to 250 feet, but am hearing it's better to be lower with 900mhz.

- There's probably a 50-75 homes within a 3 mile radius.

- There's a small town about 5 miles away, but it's literally all tall trees between the two.

- We're assuming because of the location, interference won't be a giant challenge, but can't say for sure.

- We offer 3, 6, and 9Mbps plans.

So... any guesses if we can expect to pick up most of these customers? I know it's impossible question, but some votes of confidence might persuade us to take the plunge and try it out.

@ExMachina wrote:

We've been primarily a Wimax shop with a bit of 2.4 built in and are interested in learning real world performance of the new 450i 900 stuff. I know it's just getting out there now, but I'd love to get some opinions.

- We're looking at a new tower that's rural and heavily treed (think 80 foot pines pretty much everywhere). We can get on this tower up to 250 feet, but am hearing it's better to be lower with 900mhz.

- There's probably a 50-75 homes within a 3 mile radius.

- There's a small town about 5 miles away, but it's literally all tall trees between the two.

- We're assuming because of the location, interference won't be a giant challenge, but can't say for sure.

- We offer 3, 6, and 9Mbps plans.

So... any guesses if we can expect to pick up most of these customers? I know it's impossible question, but some votes of confidence might persuade us to take the plunge and try it out.

Hello,

Have you tried Cambium's free tool, LinkPlanner 4.3.7?  After putting in the specifics of your unique link, you should have a better idea if the 900 MHz 450i product will fit your needs.

The Link Planner tool can be found here:

http://www.cambiumnetworks.com/products/software-tools/linkplanner/ 

Best,

Cambium Jonathan

I don't think anyone is going to give you an absolute answer on 900MHz propogation, and certainly not Cambium as it would present a liability to them if they said yes it would work and then you go to buy and it didn't work. When dealing with near/non-LOS links there are so many variables that it's probably just best to buy some equipment to test with and see what performance you get. First step would be to get some noise floor readings from both the tower and at a prospective client site and see what the RF landscape looks like. Assuming that you have a pretty quiet noise floor, I think there's a decent chance of getting some of those clients within 3 miles some service... I doubt you'll be able to get anything to the people 5 miles away. Again, no way to know unless you buy some gear and test it out.

That being said, we've had some pretty good luck with the new PMP450i 900MHz gear.

3 Likes