6.1 Firmware

I was wondering if I could clarify something. I was wondering if the new firmware will have latency and throughput improvements for non-advantage canopy products? If so what are the percentage improvements? If someone can explain this it would be appreciated.

We are about to order some equipment and this impacts what we are going to purchase.

Ive been reading about the latency improvements with the 900 equipment but I think these are considered part of the advantage family.

Derrick,

6.1 will allow you to enable hardware scheduling on non-advantage prouducts.(this is as-per my info)

This will reduce your latency and your throughput on your existing plant.
What equipment we you looking at buying?

Thanks,

Chris

Well were adding 6 or 8 AP’s to the existing network, and a couple of them I will be looking at adding the new AP’s. I will probably replace a couple of other Ap’s that have become overloaded with clients and move them to the new areas. So that they can handle the throughput. I would really like to know the specific numbers of throughput for advantage opposed to non-advantage.

When can we expect the 6.1 Release for other bands?

Im just very grateful that they take their time with their releases as to have the least amount of problems as possible. The previous few releases have been quite good for being bug free.

marwill wrote:
When can we expect the 6.1 Release for other bands?

I too, would like to know the answer to that question...
Derrick wrote:
I was wondering if I could clarify something. I was wondering if the new firmware will have latency and throughput improvements for non-advantage canopy products? If so what are the percentage improvements? If someone can explain this it would be appreciated.

We are about to order some equipment and this impacts what we are going to purchase.

Ive been reading about the latency improvements with the 900 equipment but I think these are considered part of the advantage family.

We just upgraded all our AP's (appox 40) with the new release. Cut our av. times from 45ms to less than 20ms on almost every link. Some were as low as 12ms. Lovin it.

Well thanks 900 product. We use exclusively 5.7 and 2.4 and the latency is already 20ms from AP to SM. Backhauls are fairly consistant at 5ms. Our problem is how far can we keep sending the signal out form our main hub. We can’t just keep bouncing backhauls ten bounces out and compete (latency wise) with wired lines, or at least be close. We have gamers and VoiP users that will switch but are reluctant due to high latency issues.

Im thinking that the release will be soon and I can wait patiently.

ChrisT wrote:
Derrick,

6.1 will allow you to enable hardware scheduling on non-advantage prouducts.(this is as-per my info)

Thanks,

Chris

Hey Chris,

Could you clarify want additional features, if any, the 900 MHz Advantage AP's will have over the old 900 MHz AP's that have been upgraded to the 6.x firmware?

Thanks.

If you download the firmware and read the tech notes there will be a description of improvments over the last version.

I think… :smiley:

Aaron

acherman wrote:
If you download the firmware and read the tech notes there will be a description of improvments over the last version.

I think... :D

Aaron

Download the release notes and it'll tell you what bugs they've fixed.

It doesn't appear that Motorola has fixed the loss of http bug in the
latest version. :(

Yah, that’s what I meant. :smiley:

It seems the http bug is an on going thing. Looks like they don’t know where it is. I think everybody knows how hard it is to troubleshoot an intermittent problem. It never happens when you’re watching it!!! :lol:

Aaron

langles wrote:
[quote="ChrisT":2jz02u8j]Derrick,

Thanks,

Chris

Hey Chris,

Could you clarify want additional features, if any, the 900 MHz Advantage AP's will have over the old 900 MHz AP's that have been upgraded to the 6.x firmware?

Thanks.[/quote:2jz02u8j]

I will answer my own question. Today, I called Motorola Canopy Tech Support and asked them the above. The support person did not know of any feature differences between the 900 MH AP's, non-Advantage and Advantage, w/ updated firmware, but described the Advantage as having a newer, more reliable hardware version.

Why have forums if the moderators won’t answer any questions? Is this a support forum or a lost sheep forum. We seem to be keeping things fairly civilized and clean of “how do I turn my SM on?” kind of obvious questions. I think we deserve some sort of an authoritative answer from someone who is qualified to give one. Especially since this update has taken quite some time.

In case the jist of this topic was missed Ill ask again. Will the new 6.X update include improvements to the throughtput and latency in the <b>non-advantage</b> products? Or do we have to purchase the new advantage product in order to see any of the new features. I think there is a mass thought that this new firmware will increase these performances in all products. If not it would be very nice to know now.

When everyone signed up it clearly stated that this is not a formal support forum. See the first line in “what to expect” under the welcome post. This is a forum to get Canopy users discussing Canopy items with other users. Even though it isn’t a formal support system please understand that we try to be as active as possible. We also answer as many as we can in one day but there have been a lot of discussions and we cannot answer everything and neglect other things. BTW I think we are approaching over 100 replies’, not to mention the countless private messages and emails. That said…

You will see a throughput increase and a latency decrease when using an Advantage AP with non-advantage SM’s. You will not see any performance changes with non-advantage AP/SM combos. You will benefit from other features such as VLAN as well as some other key additions.

I am a little confused about the 6.1 firmware. In the document http://motorola.canopywireless.com/prod_advantage.php I read this…

High Performance: Effectively reduces latency by one-third (from approximately 20 milliseconds to 5 to 7 milliseconds)

Lightning Fast Speeds: Essentially doubles throughput of a Canopy subscriber module and delivers data rates in excess of today’s DSL and cable networks of 7 Mbps to a single user.

And then in this document http://motorola.canopywireless.com/press/112304.php I read this…

which increases the aggregate throughput by a factor of two, up to 2.1 megabits per second to a single user. This new software decreases the latency in the new 900 MHz module to 15 milliseconds from 45 milliseconds

This all makes things a little more cloudy… :?: :?

Also, I appreciate the input from the Canopy Support guys here. If I have a question I need answered immediatly I send an email directly to Canopy or Motorola. Just my 2c.

Aaron

I will ask that a more clear definition be posted.

The two statements are different because they refer to two different things. One (the first quote) is referring to the 2.4, 5.2, and 5.7 GHz bands and the second quote refers to 900 MHz only.

HEY! Where’s that 6.1 firmware upgrade that was supposed to be available today??

The email I received clearly says Weds, December 15th…

:x

From what they said in the session today, all 900 MHz gear is advange gear and thus benefits from the hardware scheduling.

The LOS gear cannot use hardware scheduling unless it is the newer advantage gear.

W/O hardware scheduling… no performance increase (???) and you cannot schedule CIR for a SM or set the QOS bit to support VOIP.

The 6.0 release note warned about using the SM to mange MIR… hope that 6.1 will let me begin doing this.

The session today said that the firmware would be out next week, by the end of the week. One thing you 900 guys should know is, that the 900 MHz stuff is already Advantage ready, that means that once you upgrade the firmware, you will see at the top of the page, an Advantage symbol, showing that your current gear is Advantage. This will also open up the extra features/benefits of being an Advantage product. So dont worry so much…