6 Sector Twistport front to back configuration

We have switched from 4 90 degree sectors to 6 60 degree sectors using RF Elements twist port's. I am reading and searching for the best way to do front to back configurations using the the 6 sector configureations and coming up dry here. I can't possibly be the only one doing this. Any input wold be appreciated. Though I loved the auto channel feature using 4 sectors, now that I am growing it is becomeing a pain when I have to reboot a sector for it to come up with a new frequency patern that is not always optimal since 99% of my customers are less than a mile away.

Do those radios have the GPS Sync feature?

I would break it down to which ones are actually front to back and then space out the frequencies for the sectors that kind of overlap. If not then space them out throughout clean spectrum. Different sectors are going to give you a different spectrum readings for the different locations your pointing at. Also if they are less than a mile away make sure you turn the power low enough for optimal levels and to avoid some self interference.

I am using the Twisport's with Cambium ePMP1000's that have GPS sync on them.

Since your customers are a mile or less away you should downtilt those horns significantly unless they are at a much higher elevation than your mast.  The horns have a vertical beamwidth equal to their horizontal, which means you are sending noise 30* above the elevation of the antenna.

1 Like

I have them pointed straight out, we are in a bowl. What I have noticed between the 90 ° Customer download has increased, upload, not so much. Also the Cambium 90 ° sectors were "forgiving" to newbies like me setting up customers, not so much with the RF Elements horns.. you either get the install perfect or its not working.. period.

But thats not what Im asking. I need info one 6 sector front to back, and coming up dry and people are dodgeing my original question.... why?

@kmitre wrote:

Do those radios have the GPS Sync feature?

I would break it down to which ones are actually front to back and then space out the frequencies for the sectors that kind of overlap. If not then space them out throughout clean spectrum. Different sectors are going to give you a different spectrum readings for the different locations your pointing at. Also if they are less than a mile away make sure you turn the power low enough for optimal levels and to avoid some self interference.

How would I know what the optimal power level is, on the pads I kinda let the radio figure this out, when I put them in manual mode its not auto. I noticed they idot proofed the transmit power so you cant go over legal limits. 

In Manual mode for the frequency's do the AP and SM's not negotiate and turn up and down automaticaly any more?

P.S.. Right now I still have them in auto. I have mearly looked at the settings because Im not ready to put them in manual untill I have a full understanding of the workings and best practice. I'll be the first to admid I am one of thoes guys that poped a system up without being a professinal, but I am trying.

Totally forgot Cambium has that auto tx feature.

Realistically the only things you should have at manual are the frequencies. ABAB config with the sectors in between spaced out (frequency wise). Try to find a thread about freq separation. Supposibly with gps sync it's like 5mhz guard bands but I would set them apart a bit more. Does any of this make sense?

With GPS sync 5mhz guard is just fine in my opinion and it saves valuable spectrum.

Depends almost entirely on the environment.  Frequency planning should include spectrum analyses from all six APs to start with.  You may find that e.g. 5815 is great in one direction but unusable 180 degrees off, so back-to-back reuse sometimes may not be an option.

For us, I try to put all APs in 5730-5845 (20MHz wide, 23dB FCC TX limit) but that usually isn't possible, so many of our APs are in 5170-5250 (20MHz wide, 20dB FCC TX limit).  With 5-10Mhz guard bands between them you should be able to identify enough suitable channels.

Until you have SA data (or at least ACS selection graph) from the APs one at a time with the other 5 NOT TRANSMITTING, it's hard to go any further.

j