7.2 Upgrade...

Dear Canopy Support,

Can you give all of us an update on how the 7.2 release is going? I think there are many others here that are ready to switch back to Hardware Schedualing.

Last I heard was late June, early july. Thanks for any update.

Zach

The last I heard was the end of June. Wait! Isn’t that today?!!

I haven’t even seen anything on a knowledge session for it yet, and those ususually come out at least two weeks in advance. Looks like we’ll be waiting a while longer. :x

Aaron

bump

Exactly! A week into July and still no info. Not even a note saying “we are having problems and it will be a little bit.” I just got a knowledge session notice about the 45 Mbps backhauls but still no 7.2.

The Canopy web page still says the end of June!

…a release labeled 7.2, which is schedule to made publicly available around the end of June 2005.

WTF!!! :evil:

Aaron

acherman wrote:
Exactly! A week into July and still no info. Not even a note saying "we are having problems and it will be a little bit." I just got a knowledge session notice about the 45 Mbps backhauls but still no 7.2.

...a release labeled 7.2, which is schedule to made publicly available around the end of June 2005.

Aaron

I guess it all comes down to your definition of "around the end of June 2005."

:wink: :lol:

I plan on “bumping” this thread once a day.

lmao :lol:

I plan on "bumping" this thread once a day.

Good idea...

Aaron
Panzer wrote:
[quote="acherman":33bxu7dx]Exactly! A week into July and still no info. Not even a note saying "we are having problems and it will be a little bit." I just got a knowledge session notice about the 45 Mbps backhauls but still no 7.2.

...a release labeled 7.2, which is schedule to made publicly available around the end of June 2005.

Aaron

:wink: :lol:[/quote:33bxu7dx]

While I agree with giving the vendor *SOME* latitude I find the fact that support has *IGNORED* this thread somewhat disconcerting. Thankfully we only have Canopy hardware on one tower and we only have 16 units deployeed at this point. We are now holding our breath to see if Canopy Support is going to pick up the ball. If they don't, we figure WaveIP will...

GET IT SUPPORT?

Micers,
This subject is very important to us and is getting the highest amount of attention possible. We have said that we would work to have 7.2 ready around the end of June. At this time it is not ready. We are working on making sure that this release fixes a number of outstanding issues.

That said, are you having specific issues concerning our current release other than the re-reg issue? If so please state them. If your problems are related to the re-reg issue then you should make sure that you are running software scheduler until 7.2 is released.

Thanks. I can appreciate your reasons. Still I make it eight days since the 28th of June. I’d say we are all trying to be patient here. If we look at the few other posts where I asked questions like, “Where can I get radiation pattern diagrams for the 12.5 dBi integrated antennas on the 900 MHz gear”, we might begin to realize why I sort of thought this forum was more or less an “after thought” for Motorola and not seriously attended. I’ve been watching the thread since it was posted.

Don’t take this the wrong way because it is not intended in anger or to be hurtful. We are WISPs. We don’t get long weekends, well we don’t get long weekends at home. We don’t get retirement benefits and we don’t get paid holidays. We have hundreds of customers and every single day one of them is not snippy but seriously smartassed.

When you tell us around the end of June, we can wait but when it is something as important as being able to double the thruput on one of our towers, go the extra mile. Today is Thursday, not Tuesday.

I really do appreciate your forums and the help you and these other fine folks provide and I am as happy as a pig with the hardware and Motorola’s efforts to fix the firmware.

Canopy_Support wrote:

This subject is very important to us and is getting the highest amount of attention possible. We have said that we would work to have 7.2 ready around the end of June. At this time it is not ready. We are working on making sure that this release fixes a number of outstanding issues.

I believe you. I used to work for E-Systems as a Systems Engineer. I worked for PRC as a Senior Programmer Analyst and I worked for Vitro Corp (TRW) as a Programmer Analyst. I understand softwar/firmware development. I know that schedules slip and I know that delivering GOOD code is more important than delivering a lot of code.

Canopy_Support wrote:

That said, are you having specific issues concerning our current release other than the re-reg issue? If so please state them. If your problems are related to the re-reg issue then you should make sure that you are running software scheduler until 7.2 is released.

That said, I am not having specific issues concerning the current release which I do not understand. I have read the manuals and done the homework. We are running software schedueling, I never even turned on hardware scheduling, but I told my customers that YOU were looking at the end of June for your firmware updates. I also told them that software delivery dates were, well … “soft”.

All I want from you at this point is the reassurance that you are working the problem. You have now provided that. Thanks for taking your time. I’d rather wait to the end of August than get broken firmware and install it. First make it work. Then make it work <insert adverb>.

Thanks.

We have stated over and over again that this is not formal support. If you have a question that needs to be answered immediatly then you should call into our helpdesk.

I will look for the antenna pattern post you refered to in your last post and search for what you are requesting. Please understand that we dont get the opportunity to read each post due to the great response and usage of this forum (which is in 3 languages).

I think most would agree that this is a helpful tool and is a huge benefit for Canopy users.

Canopy_Support wrote:
We have stated over and over again that this is not formal support. If you have a question that needs to be answered immediatly then you should call into our helpdesk.

I will look for the antenna pattern post you refered to in your last post and search for what you are requesting. Please understand that we dont get the opportunity to read each post due to the great response and usage of this forum (which is in 3 languages).

I think most would agree that this is a helpful tool and is a huge benefit for Canopy users.

All I want from you at this point is the reassurance that you are working the problem. You have now provided that. Thanks for taking your time. I'd rather wait to the end of August than get broken firmware and install it. First make it work. Then make it work <insert adverb>.

What is the problem?

Does hardware scheduling not work with 7.1? I have just upgraded three advantage AP to 7.1 with hardware scheduling on and about to deploy them 400 feet in the air. Should I be turning hardware scheduling off or downgrading to 7.0?

Derrick wrote:
What is the problem?

Does hardware scheduling not work with 7.1? I have just upgraded three advantage AP to 7.1 with hardware scheduling on and about to deploy them 400 feet in the air. Should I be turning hardware scheduling off or downgrading to 7.0?

It does work, but not reliably. Many of your SMs with want to constantly re-register, but some will work just fine. It's hit and miss, so I'd stick with SW scheduling for now. Just speaking from experience.

In some cases we are seeing high re-reg counts in environments running hardware scheduler. Some customers are running hardware scheduler with no problems at all while others cannot opperate at all. If you see high re-reg counts at the SM you will want to drop to software scheduler until 7.2 is released.

To reiterate some of Micers statements, while I expect vendors to hold to self-imposed release dates, stable, functional firmware is much better then timely firmware.

Since the 7.2 release is not ready for production, we wait. Regular progress reports on such a highly anticipated release would make waiting much easier. An announcement similar to “sorry guys, its not going to be ready on time” on Jume 30 would have been wonderful.

Alright, I’m walking away from this dead horse now.

Ever since we switched to SW, the reregs calmed down, but now we get these intermitent outages on the rezi side. On intermapper, you will see a sea of red (DOWN) from anywhere between 1 second and 15 seconds. As this is happening, the AP shows that they are all still registered. But a constant ping proves that they indeed are loosing timing and/or are down. To a regular web surfer, this isnt really a problem, as all they have to do is refresh the page by the time they come back up. But for our online gamers out there, they will be lag’d out or droped from the game. I rate limited everyone to around 800 kb/s up & down. That seemed to help some.

I hope switching back to HW will solve this and give our customers the once solid link they used to have.

Z

bump

Stop already

When was the last time a software product was delivered on time.

I would much rather have it work properly than meet a date which was self imposed anyway.

Bet this is the last time the Canopy Team will give us a date, I cannot blame them if they totaly ignore us.

I find this forum contains much usefull information, lets not poison it by insulting the same people we want help from.

When it’s done it’s done. This stuff (Canopy) does things that 5 years ago where not possable at any cost.

To the Canopy Team, Thanks for all the good info you have provided and I hope you continue to do the same.

Im not losing sleep over it, but I am about to lose customers. :slight_smile: The trust from some is already gone.