7.3 anyone?

Have anybody tried the new canopy software 7.3? any problems with it?

Nope, I refuse to update half of my network!

This “release firmware but dont upgrade everything, only certain things” is quite upsetting. We are not supposed to upgrade our backhauls with this or the last firmware release. To do only the AP’s and SM’s and not the backhauls is a pain.

Derrick wrote:
Nope, I refuse to update half of my network!

This "release firmware but dont upgrade everything, only certain things" is quite upsetting. We are not supposed to upgrade our backhauls with this or the last firmware release. To do only the AP's and SM's and not the backhauls is a pain.

I agree with Derrick... why are we doing multi firmware these days... Dont we have enough to keep track of without making things even more confusing with multiple firmware versions all across the network... what a nightmare this is turning out to be... kinda makes ya think what it will evolve into in 6 or 8 months..

Why can’t we update the backhauls? I’m running 7.2.9 on my 5.8 20meg back hauls. haven’t noticed a problem.

Your not supposed to upgrade your BH’s past 7.1 only if they are colocated in the same band and are p8 boards or older. If you are not colocated or your BH’s are P9 running in hardware sched mode upgrade away. The issue is only with colocated BH’s running in software sched mode. I felt it necessary to upgrade mine for the diffserv capability with our voip i felt it was necessary. I only had a couple sites that were colocated and i just swapped out one link with 2.4 and upgraded. no problems. As far as the main post Yes i have upgraded to 7.3.9 and found some improvements. I have been monitoring several SM’s for a couple weeks before the upgrade and was getting ready to send out trucks to address the issues. I did not have any complaints from customers but levels were borderline and id rather catch them before i start getting phone calls. After the upgrade several of them improved substantally. Didn’t fix them all but that’s ok it was worth the upgrade

Why is it a problem to NOT upgrade the backhauls? Do people just upgrade to the latest firmware even if it has no improvements for their application?

I felt it necessary to upgrade mine for the diffserv capability with our voip i felt it was necessary.

This makes sense. When a firmware release comes out I read the release notes first and see if it’s worth my time to upgrade. If there is nothing that fixes any bugs I’m plagued with and nothing that improves performance in my application then I don’t bother upgrading. I’m still running 6.1 on all of my 20 Mbps backhauls - newer on my APs.

Might get flamed for this but I was just curious. :smiley:

Aaron

I don’t really have a problem with running different softwares in BH or AP, however. the problem with p8 not being able to run on anything higher than 7.1 shows that they might be testing new softwares on new hardware only. Sounds logical but with a hardware plataform as solid as canopy they should test their software even in the older hardwares. I’m still running some AP’s that are almost three years old and were originally shipped with the NAHUM version of the software. Anyway, there is several known issues with softwares that I can not believe they haven’t fix yet. Some of them started with 4.1 and they are still there.

they should test their software even in the older hardwares.

I agree. They do boast that how much backward compatability there is with the product. However, it does seem to be only new features (ie. hardware scheduling, 2x rate) that can only work on the P9 hardware. So in reality the newer P9 hardware will work quite nicely with the P8 hardware, but you can't take advantage of, well, the Advantage features. :D
All that said, it sure would be nice to have hardware scheduling on older hardware. I guess we hurry up and wait to see what they come up with.

I wonder if anyone has heard when the next version will come out.

Aaron

The Classic AP with p9 platform performs well now with 7.3(HW scheduling) .

Also overall available throughput is higher as the 12 timing slots(6 ack & 6 control) used in Software Sheduling are not required.This means that till 10 sms we can use 0 control slots & hence save 12 slots.The latency
is very consistent.

Several times we have upgraded when we thought the network was running fine and afterwards have noticed network performance improvements each time, some significant, others subtle. Obviously the most drastic was from 4.1 to 6.1, however there were noticable improvements from 6.1 to 7.2.9.

My upgrade process always lags behind releases by weeks. If there are problems, I don’t want to be the guy who finds it…

Still running some 6.1’s although almost all are up to 7.2.9. We will likely roll out 7.3 in the next couple of weeks. Need to swap out an older BH so we can run HW.

we are running 5.7APs, and backhauling 5.2. We have not upgraded to the latest version, per motorolas suggestion, however, currently we are seeing inconsistant ping times and performance, and are considering upgrading. Does anyone know of problems doing this? When you say different bands, is 5.7 and 5.2 different enough?

Yes 5.7 and 5.2 are diffarent bands but the issue is not with the co location of AP’s and BH’s it is with having 2 5.2 BH masters at the same site or 2 5.2 BH slaves at the same site. All my AP’s are running 7.3 the main reason is VOIP. 7.2.9 had an issue with the high priority channel whitch 7.3 fixed. Before the upgrade I had a list of several users i was fixing to roll a truck on with poor levels on. To my surprise after the upgrade the list was only 1. rx levels that were -78 threw -82 and had re-reg’s climbing were now -72 with no re-reg’s. So as far as AP’s and SM’s upgrade. As far as BH’s the only reason you would need to go past 7.0.7 would be if you needed a new feature it offered like Diffserv for QOS (VOIP). I use 5.7 and 2.4 for BH’s 5.2 with its poor range is a waste of my time. If I have more then 100ft seperation with AP’s on the tower i use 5.7 if not 2.4. I had a couple sites that were co located so I just chanded one link to 2.4 and upgraded. no problem yet.

I don’t see what all the complaints about upgrading are. If you have CNUT set up properly the only effort is downloading the update, selecting the units to be upgraded and set the time. All of what 10 min WOW that just wore me out. BOO HOO.

I set a couple clusters each nite to update at 4:00AM I get to work at 6:00 if their is an issue it’s only for minimal time at a low use time of day. After all the upgrades I have never had to roll a truck yet after an upgrade.

Thanks for the clarification. I agree about the short range of the 5.2, but we are currently using them to broadcast out from our NOC to three base stations, <10 miles away.

I am going to go ahead and upgrade. I have not had a bad experience yet with CNUT.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

All of what 10 min WOW that just wore me out. BOO HOO.

haha :lol: That's how I feel about some of the complaints.

After all the upgrades I have never had to roll a truck yet after an upgrade.

Same here - all of my upgrades have gone well (other than a couple issues with AutoUpdate, but hose were solved remotely and did not cause the customer any trouble).

Aaron