8.1 go or no go???

Syncpipes seem to work fine with 8.1.4, i’m not sure who reported problems but I have about 10 syncpipes and i had all those APs running 8.1.4 at one point, with no issues whatsoever…

Nothing on my network runs 8.1.4 now for obvious reasons. It just amazes me that Motorola puts these complete assholes on the front-line tech support, moron drones who just keep telling you “you are the only person to report this problem” and who can’t listen for two seconds when you try to give them a technical explanation and instead just interrupt you with the party line they read from the tech support manual.

The beta guys, on the other hand, are quite responsive, at least in comparison to the first level drones.

Hey, motorola actually found a problem yesterday that they want to acknowledge. This affects a vast majority of the 2.4ghz units we have…

http://motorola.canopywireless.com/supp … d=384&c=18

The new interface is nice; the html links to SMs are a plus.
We upgraded two 900 MHz APs and about 30 SMs to 8.14; 25% of the SMs didn’t take the upgrade, requiring truck rolls to customer sites. All radios were integrated P9s.

Displayed power levels all decreased, jitter increased; and link tests - especially on the upload numbers all decreased. Customers with VoIP / Vonage- all complained. These were sites that had been completely happy and stable prior to the ‘upgrade’.

I don’t plan to upgrade any other network segments until Moto fixes this very buggy release- and cannot recommend that anyone else does either.
The interface improvement doesn’t match the costs associated with lower power, increased jitter, decreased link test performance, and truck rolls…

Tech support was mostly an activity in product liability denial. At this point, we’ll probably have to convert some of the bouncing remotes to connectorized SMs, and acquire a bunch of 17 dBi yagis to boost the power at these sites.

And of course all of the remotes with issues are 25-32 miles from the mountain. :x

keefe007 wrote:

This really sounds like a 300SS problem to me. Do you get the same results with the 300SS removed?

Ok...I'll bite...what's 300SS? Sorry if it's one of those obvious answers that I'll kick myself when I see it.

Also, I don't know, but I believe that the following topic forum also has to do with problems with 8.1.4 (just something else we're finding at one site we upgraded.

http://motorola.canopywireless.com/support/community/viewtopic.php?t=3235

I hate the fact that Tech Support is great with some things, very knowledgable and helpful and easy to get a hold of, but when there is a potentially serious issue with a new release of software they don't have the brains to be making note of the complaints, posting something on the forums asking if anyone else is having this problem, etc... or to even acknowledge that those of us out in the field may have a better fricking clue as to what's happening with their fabulous new and incredibly wonderful software release. I'm know they did some field testing (I heard they had some 30 different releases during their testing phase), but come on guys...learn that the those of us who actually use it on a daily basis are going to be the first line of defense against a potentially disastorous liability problem and maybe, just maybe another few fixes are going to be required... just be big enough to admit it.

For those that don't know the whole story behind the new release, it's because up to this point Motorola has been leasing the kernel on which all the old software has been based. They decided that they wanted to "own" the software so they could do what they wanted with it and so they had to come out with an entirely new program. It isn't based on the old software as far as the base program goes. Thus the new interface, etc... and all the problems that go along with it. The deal is that once they release their new software and the lease expires on the old kernel, they can't go back.

So rather than admitting that there may be problems and they aren't sure what to do about it, they will go into denial, hoping and praying they can figure out how badly they screwed this whole thing up and how they can dig themselves out of this hole they put us all in by trying to fix something that wasn't broke and simply paying to improve and build on what they had.

I feel better now that I got that off my chest. :?

Ouch

Ok…I’ll bite…what’s 300SS? Sorry if it’s one of those obvious answers that I’ll kick myself when I see it.

It’s a surge suppressor.

Works for some people, others have issues ^^

Ahhhhh…yup…kick myself for not going with the obvious. I’ve tried with them in and out… doesn’t change.