8.2.7, 2X operation, etc.

Gents,

Fired up my first 8.2.7 (and Canopy in general) gear today for the first time in a long time. What a difference from version 6.1.

A few questions come to mind. I was finally able to find a system manual for general 8.0.0 firmware.

If my understanding is correct, if a BH link is configured to operate in 2X mode, and the RF conditions permit it, that link will ONLY operate in 2X mode when user data is passed on the link? So if there is no user data on the link, and I log into the unit, I should not be alarmed to see that the units are connected at 1X?

Second, is it still recommended to configure a BH link for 1X operate prior to the alignment process, then switch the units to 2X after the alignment process is complete?

I see that a link test value of 45% on a link running in 2X mode is equivalent to a link test value of around 90% on a link running in 1X mode…this is interesting.

Are acceptable values of jitter for 2X mode still 0-9?

Thanks,

Matt

I think Motorola only recommends 2X mode with link tests of 60% or higher. Anyways you may not see very consistent performance with a low percentage on a link test.

It will usually show 2X/2X when data is passing and 2X/1X when it isn’t.

Motorola says jitter up to 15 is acceptable in 2X mode but high jitter and low link throughput would typically convince me to use 1X mode.

As far as 2X during alignment, it may make the tone sound different, and harder to use. But if you align by dBm and jitter readings then it would make very little difference.

Thanks for the reply.

Is the whole concept of 1X and 2X in the Backhaul world the same thing as 10 Mbps and 20 Mbps?

In other words, if my link is set to 1X, will it be operating at 10 Mbps, and if my link is set to 2X, will it be operating at 20 Mbps?

When you reference Motorola’s suggestion of 2X and 60% link tests, are you assuming the units are configured to operate in 1X or 2X?

I am assuming the units are configured and operating in 2X.

Yeah 10Mbps is 1X and 20Mbps is 2X in backhaul land. I don’t actually use any FSK backhauls so I can’t tell you much else there.

Thanks.

Until I find a user manual for 8.2.7, can anyone tell me, off the top of their heads, what the following features do:

1. Scheduled Whitening
2. Power Save Mode

Thanks,

Matt

msmith wrote:
Until I find a user manual for 8.2.7

http://www.motowi4solutions.com/software/

Schedule whitening is for 5.4 DFS to happen quicker. So if you aren’t using 5.4 DFS then don’t enable it

Power save mode is interesting but I these things draw 4-6 watts anyways so I don’t see the point. Unless you are on solar/batteries, I wouldn’t bother.

Thanks.

I have 5.2 and 5.4 GHz backhauls running 8.2.7. Both have Scheduled Whitening as options so I am assuming that they both use DFS.

Years ago when I used 5.2 GHz Canopy, the devices did not have to comply with DFS?

Both of my backhauls will be colocated on the same pole. I was reading the release notes for 8.2.7 and it gave mention of colocation issues with 5.2 and 5.4 due to the 5.4 radio transmitting a signal approximately 280 MHz below its configured center channel. My design called for a 5.2 GHz and a 5.4 GHz since they needed to be installed on the same pole, I figured I would pick two relatively clean bands and have at least 200 MHz frequency separation between the two. Then I came across the colocation issue in the 8.2.7 manual…great.

It won’t be an issue.

Use the bottom of 5.2 and the top of 5.4 and you will befine

Thanks for the reply Jerry.

If my math serves me correctly, I should be able to get away with using the default Tx frequencies for the 5.2 & 5.4 GHz units.

5275 MHz
5495 MHz

5275 + 10 MHz = 5285 MHz

5495 - 10 MHz = 5485 MHz

5485 - 5285 = 200 MHz frequency separation

Center channel of 5.2 GHz unit - 280 MHz = 5495 - 280 = 5215 MHz

If my math serves me correctly I think I should be OK with leave the two frequencies at their default values. And, is it safe to assume that it is generaly recommended to enable Scheduled Whitening on both units?

Since when did 5.2 GHz US units have to comply with DFS, anyways?

Thanks,

Matt

Around the time that 5.4 was opened up, the rules for new 5.2 devices were changed to match 5.4

You should be fine, however why not make certain and put them as far apart as possible?

I am not sure about Whitening. I think you want to leave it off unless you need it to be on.

msmith wrote:
If my math serves me correctly, I should be able to get away with using the default Tx frequencies for the 5.2 & 5.4 GHz units.

5275 MHz
5495 MHz

5275 + 10 MHz = 5285 MHz

5495 - 10 MHz = 5485 MHz

5485 - 5285 = 200 MHz frequency separation

Center channel of 5.2 GHz unit - 280 MHz = 5495 - 280 = 5215 MHz

If my math serves me correctly I think I should be OK with leave the two frequencies at their default values. And, is it safe to assume that it is generaly recommended to enable Scheduled Whitening on both units?

Since when did 5.2 GHz US units have to comply with DFS, anyways?

Thanks,

Matt

Is this 280mhz true for all 5.4 gear or just Canopy?

Going back to this thread…

Do backhauls in the 5.8 GHz band have to comply with DFS/radar detection, or is it just 5.2 && 5.4 GHz?

Thanks,

Matt

Just 5.2/5.4

Thanks. Working on a bid for an airport…