8.2 and NAT

Yeah - same for us, however DHCP for the customer side of the SM seems to be where the NAT problems start on 8.2

Really? I’ll see if we can’t get a few clients set up with static addresses inside the ethernet if we begin to see trouble on our test rollout.

No offence to anyone, but quit blaming Motorola for breaking your network. You broke your own network by foolishly upgrading the entire network to new firmware without testing first or even taking the time to read this forum where it has been posted several times already that NAT is still an issue.

Hehehe.

Nice one.

I always pass the buck, even when it’s my own fault. Motorola is a good whipping boy. :slight_smile:

But in all seriousness, yeah, it was foolish of me to go all the way to 8.2 with all my SMs this time around when in previous upgrades I went up to 8.1.5.1 in certain areas. I don’t know how I got it in my head, but I was under the assumption I needed 8.2 to run Prizm3.

In any event, I’m still a little disappointed these problems weren’t detected in their testing phase because quite frankly it is very broken. It’s one thing to be messed up when plugged into a switch with multiple computers using the NAT on the radio, and another thing when it won’t even work when directly connected to a computer.

The bottom line (which was stated earlier): NAT does not work on 8.2 and should be avoided until the problem is addressed by support.

I have the same problem with 8.2 and NAT.
My temporary solutions were:
1) fixing the SM ethernet port to 10 Mbit Full-duplex or
2) downgrading to 8.1.5

ciao
Massimo

I think where everything went wrong was in the beginning. Motorola never did and still do not own the original software, The lease ran out and now they are having to play catch up in the middle of production. I don’t know if they do or not but what might need to be done is just like what they did with the release of the New Software. They should continue the Beta program for new releases with several of the larger WISP’s out here in the real world. Let us help test and provide feedback. Lets be honest they can’t test every situation in a lab, it’s just not possable.

I’ve try to email their support even with their tier2 support, but still havent got any answer from them.

Maybe rightnow they are too busy fixing their 8.2? :smiley:

What attitude0330 said is true. with all new features in 8.2 everybody is tempted to upgrade, did you?

We don’t use NAT so it isn’t an issue, but we still have not upgraded regardless. If it’s not broke then don’t fix it. Although it would be nice if NAT did work then we wouldn’t have to provide a router to the customer and would cut down on install costs. It seams like the new version of DLink is having more and more problems with Canopy then previously.

Reminds me of the old BASF commercial “We don’t make alot of the products you buy, We make alot of the products you buy better”

I attended the moto summit in palm springs this week. Moto does know about the problems with 8.2. It is not just NAT, they have identified 4 problems with timing on the ethernet software. 8.2.1 is supposed to fix, several people are running the beta and have said that the problems are fixed. Chuck from Moto (the main software engineer for canopy) said that it should be available for download by the 15th october.

Moto really ate crow at the summit. They aknowledged many problem with quality (P10 hardware was a bit flakey), production (900Mhz line shut down before the new line was yielding), and other issues. They actually hired a comic who pretended to be a WISP and went on stage several times to interrupt and let whoever was on stage have it! It was great. I am encouraged that they are at least aware and admitting that they have problems.

I don’t think anyone from Moto views this forum though. You would think that they would at least post a comment on not upgrading to 8.2 if you use NAT. Especially since it has been a known problem for several weeks. Come on Moto, take care of those who got you here.

Good to know. I’ll definitely be testing 8.2.1 before mass deployment!

when NAT is fixed, maybe another prob around… hehehe.

Interestingly enough - when everyone was having problems with 8.1.5.1 my subscribers were working fine. To be quite honest, this is the first software release I’ve had any issues with, which is unfortunately because I decided to roll it out on everything, hah.

Anyone have news?

Bye

I’ll be rolling back to 8.1.5.1/6 (depending on the radio) for customers that need NAT.

8.2.1 avaiable

I test it for NAT issues…

Bye

Fabio

I upgraded to 8.2.1 its been 2 days and no errors, I’ll keep ya"ll updated

PWH,
you use 8.2.1 with nat enabled and public ip add to “NAT Public Network Interface Config”?

Bye

Fabio

8.2 and NAT w/ DHCP server on NAT’d side seemed to be where the problems were at.

I’ll be testing this one in lab and on a few select subscribers before I roll it out in any number of SMs greater than 10.

It’s kind of sad that it took Motorola almost 2 years to fix version 8 software. They didn’t get serious about fixing the problems until they started manufacturing only P10 boards with verison 8, pissing off everyone who had to use it. At least they did finally fix the problems. Oh well.