900 over water

I need to get a link that is basically at sea level at both ends and the path is over water for the whole distance. However it is only 15km and line of sight. How do you think a Moto 900Ap and SM would perform?

Should I only look at OFDM? I was thinking about Orthogons for another similar 28km link over water unless someone has a better idea?

Thanks

Ernie

while we dont have any links that long we have plenty of customers shooting across a river to a 900 VPol omni and a 2.4Ghz omni . now thats only about 2.5 miles (3.7K for you metric folks) they generally dont have problems.

I’d be careful over water, especially water that is still, as it will reflect a lot!

That’s one you’ll have to test.

How high will you be on both ends? The Fresnel zone on 900 is massive, so extra height would likely help mitigate any reflection and multipath you’d experience.

If height is not an option, OFDM would probably be a better solution.

Thanks for your help. One end is about 5meters and the other end is 30metere above sea level. I was thinking OFDM might be the only way but from a cost basis I would much rather Canopy.

Ernie wrote:
Thanks for your help. One end is about 5meters and the other end is 30metere above sea level. I was thinking OFDM might be the only way but from a cost basis I would much rather Canopy.

Myself, I wouldn't try it without at least 30' of additional height at each end (I'm talking structure height, not sea level).

You could look at some of the other frequency bands in the Canopy lineup as well. You'd get a lot more throughput out of 2.4GHz or 5.7GHz. 5.2GHz and 5.4GHz are low power and DFS so I wouldn't bother with them.

Good luck!
wifiguy wrote:
[quote="Ernie":2oq6ltqg]Thanks for your help. One end is about 5meters and the other end is 30metere above sea level. I was thinking OFDM might be the only way but from a cost basis I would much rather Canopy.

Myself, I wouldn't try it without at least 30' of additional height at each end (I'm talking structure height, not sea level).

You could look at some of the other frequency bands in the Canopy lineup as well. You'd get a lot more throughput out of 2.4GHz or 5.7GHz. 5.2GHz and 5.4GHz are low power and DFS so I wouldn't bother with them.

Good luck![/quote:2oq6ltqg]

not only are they low power, we see cant use 5.4 near the water. seems maritime radar uses this. so thats another problem.