900 w/M2-17Dbi Yagi Antenna

Has anyone recently run into problems with the canopy 900mhz connectorized units and the m2 17dbi yagi antenna’s?
Recently i’ve been running into issues with multipath when using those particular antenna’s. When i my technicians do an install they use the headset to rough aim the antenna, then fine tune it with the screen. And while doing the site survey they get good readings holding the canopy and the antenna, but when they mount the equipment get a lot of fluctuations in the headphones. I know having a person holding the antenna can cause a bit of capacitive coupling changing the gain of the antenna. But this is wierd. The signal strength fluctuates a lot as well as with the jitter. Now when i have the team change the antenna to say a 13dbi i get a signal that’s only slightly lower. But a lot more stable!

I’m almost convinced that the antenna is inducing RF into the pigtail and causing it’s own multipath interference, hence the signal flux. I was planning on making up a LMR 400 pigtail and seeing if that fixed the problem. But i wanted to see if anyone else had come up with a similar problem ?

It’s not like it’s the first time i’ve used these antenna’s but it seems to happen quite a lot lately and i’ve even tried different antennas and radios thinking one or the other might be bad. But i still get the issue.

Any ideas anyone?

-Wayne
Great Lakes Internet, Inc.

We’ve seen issues like this with certain older P9 radios. Usually moving to a P10 fixes it. Or wrap the P9 in tin foil and zip ties to hold it together. Sounds funny but it works…

I love the m2 14 over the 17. I think they perform better and much easier to install. That 6 foot length on the 17 is crazy long and they dont perform any better from what I have seen.

Mike

I haven’t noticed any interference from the M2’s that we’ve been using. I have definitely noticed better performance out of the 17db instead of the 14 especially with longer shots through thick foliage. Usually i dont see a whole lot of difference in power level between the two but definitely a major difference in link test.

Have seen the new 17.5 Dbi and 14 Dbi yagi antenna from KP Performance, take a look

www.kpperformance.ca

those antenna’s from k-performance look identical to the m2 17dbi yagi antenna. except they painted them black and used a nicer bracket, but everything else is the same, same diameter director & reflector elements in the array, same coupling of the antenna sections & same driven element.
I’m thinkin re-brand here.

those antenna’s from k-performance look identical to the m2 17dbi yagi antenna. except they painted them black and used a nicer bracket, but everything else is the same, same diameter director & reflector elements in the array, same coupling of the antenna sections & same driven element.
I’m thinkin re-brand here.

Once again, why should you have to pay a company for an antenna and then make your own bracket to fit it properly? I think if you are paying for something you should just be able to put it up and be done with it, The antennas are not painted but Anodized. Very professional, and the antenna cost less!

Cheers

thedishguy wrote:
Once again, why should you have to pay a company for an antenna and then make your own bracket to fit it properly? I think if you are paying for something you should just be able to put it up and be done with it, The antennas are not painted but Anodized. Very professional, and the antenna cost less!

Cheers

Because they are not spewing spam for their product all over the forums? :evil:

I saw he was spamming afterwards.
Sigh, i didn’t know this was a place to hock products.