9000SMC Power Save Mode

I have two questions:

1) What is “Power Save Mode” on the Radio configuration screen of the 9000SMC?

2) Why has the max power output level dropped from 28 to 26? Is the radio now limited on power output? If yes, how can we get it back to 28dbm?

Transmitter Output Power
Transmitter Output Power : dBm ( Range: 5 – 26 dBm )

Thanks,
Gregg

The default is “enabled” for the Power Save Mode? Is this th best option … what does this do?

thanks

2) Why has the max power output level dropped from 28 to 26? Is the radio now limited on power output? If yes, how can we get it back to 28dbm?

From the 8.2.7 Release Notes

Problem
900-MHz radios showed it was possible to set a radio to
28 dBm (ID 6499, 7491)

Resolution
Radios can actually only be set to 26 dBm, and the GUI in Release 8.2.7
shows that.

It is my understanding that even though you had the ability to set the power lvl to 28 dBm the radio ouput level was still only 26. It was a GUI bug.

Or so they want you to believe…

Or so they want you to believe...

If your a believer that it does make the difference then your only option is to downgrade if you feel its worth it. Then you could always just deal with firmware bugs :wink:

The power save option sparked my curiosity in the past so I sent an email to support just to see confirm what I had already expected

Here is the response I got

Power Save Mode is currently only for the P10 master radios. According to
the Release Notes for 8.2.7 on page 14 it states:

P10 master modules now offer Power Save Mode on the Configuration => Radio
tab. Power Save Mode uses improved power management to reduce power
consumption by about 1 W (10%) depending on module settings and traffic

The recommended setting is Enabled, which is the default.

NOTE: This feature reduces power consumption, but does not affect
transmitter output power, which remains at the value set by the Transmitter
Output Power parameter on the Configuration => Radio tab of a module.

This above mentioned document is located at
http://www.motowi4solutions.com/software/

Do you really believe this to be the case or did the FCC require they reduce the power by 2dBm to 26?

Also, what the heck is Power Save Mode??? The default is “enabled” for the Power Save Mode? Is this th best option … what does this do?

Thanks!
Gregg

We received some new 9000SMCDD’s w/ 8.27 loaded from the factory. Even after downgrading one to 8.24 the transmitter output power level still showed ( Range: 4 – 26 dBm ) and would not save a value over 26.

greggsmithjr wrote:
Also, what the heck is Power Save Mode??? The default is “enabled” for the Power Save Mode? Is this th best option … what does this do?

Look at the post above yours.

Should I load a previous firmware version to get the 28dBm back or was 26dBm really all it’s ever put out?

Sounds to me like the FCC was cracking down on Motorola!

Thanks,
Gregg