900mhz problems with P9 radios - New user of Equipment help!

I work for a wireless isp as a network admin and rarely touch the radio side of things, just the email/web servers etc.

We are replacing our 900mhz alvarion equipment with motorola canopy. I have 2 APs up at different towers and about 5 SMs out. I keep having them drop off IDLE. If you guys need me to post the statistics of the SMs let me know. I really could use some help though.

If you need any information let me know.

We have that problem when SM can’t find AP. Our problem was the tree leaves became populated in late Spring, also lots of noise.

It would help to know what signal strength, jitter & link capacity test results you’re getting when the SM’s are up & running. Also, if everything’s pretty stable/consistant, except for the “idle” times.

Jim Bremer

Give me a call. I can get you to an engineer here. they deal with this all the time and seem to work through it fairly well. They might be able to help you out.

Jeff
1-866-439-5469
Ezlinx.net

LUID: 002 : MAC: State: IN SESSION (Encrypt Active)
Site Name : OW201Z-Chambers M.
Software Version : CANOPY 8.1.5.1
Software Boot Version : CANOPYBOOT 3.0
FPGA Version : 041006 (DES Sched) P9
Session Timeout: 0, AirDelay 23 (approximately 0.64 miles (3381 feet))
Session Count: 840, Reg Count 622, Re-Reg Count 4355
RSSI (Avg/Last): 1290/1291 Jitter (Avg/Last): 4/3 Power Level (Avg/Last): -77/-77
Sustained Uplink Data Rate (SM): 20000 (kbit)
Uplink Burst Allocation (SM): 500000 (kbit)
Sustained Downlink Data Rate (SM): 20000 (kbit)
Downlink Burst Allocation (SM): 500000 (kbit)
Low Priority Uplink CIR (SM): 0 (kbps) Low Priority Downlink CIR (SM): 0 (kbps)
Rate : VC 18 Rate 1X/1X

LUID: 004 : MAC: State: IN SESSION (Encrypt Active)
Site Name : LumL
Software Version : CANOPY 8.1.5.1
Software Boot Version : CANOPYBOOT 3.0
FPGA Version : 041006 (DES Sched) P9
Session Timeout: 0, AirDelay 93 (approximately 2.59 miles (13671 feet))
Session Count: 426, Reg Count 945, Re-Reg Count 2807
RSSI (Avg/Last): 1173/1169 Jitter (Avg/Last): 5/4 Power Level (Avg/Last): -80/-80
Sustained Uplink Data Rate (SM): 30000 (kbit)
Uplink Burst Allocation (SM): 500000 (kbit)
Sustained Downlink Data Rate (SM): 10000 (kbit)
Downlink Burst Allocation (SM): 500000 (kbit)
Low Priority Uplink CIR (SM): 0 (kbps) Low Priority Downlink CIR (SM): 0 (kbps)
Rate : VC 20 Rate 1X/1X

This is 2 of my customers on a 900 SM connected to a brand new 900 AP. They have constant reregs. We aren’t sure what the problem is. We are new to this Canopy eq.

If you need any additional info let me know.

The first thing that pops out, besided all the re-reg’s is your signal levels are pretty low. At around 3 miles, we see typical levels around -62. Do other SM’s farther out have better signals? I’m curious about your AP antenna. If it has a narrow vertical beam and is quite a bit above these customers, you may be shooting right over them.
Also, how are the Link Capacity tests for these 2 (when they’re working).
In particular, look at the Uplink and Downlink Efficiencies. 100% is great; 80’s & 90’s will work. Anything lower is a cause for concern. If your downlink is good, but uplink is low, it indicates that the AP is not getting a good signal from the SM.

Jim Bremer

Our network signal strengths are very similar for that range because of heavily treed areas. Jitter is also comparible. We have very little issue with re-reg with anything better than -80 dBm. Check on some of the standard interference issues:

Cordless phones (freq doesn’t matter because signalling between the base and remote can still be 900 MHz), power lines, are the AP’s both on the same Polarization? (Frequency Separation) do the SM’s see both of them (AP’s)? Are you using narrow beam antennas or 60 degree?

Interference all the way.

Are you running this along with your Alvarion stuff? If so, put the Canopy AP at 924, and then force your Alvarion to use the lower 2/3 of the spectrum.