900MHz SM Drops

The 17s we use have to be assembled as well - we usually see at least a 4db difference at the SM and sometimes as great as 8db on the AP.

I try to limit using them due to their size, but in situations where a 13 is just barely not going to cut it, the 17 usually saves the day.

i guess maybe ours were just poor quality. i just never liked the fact no matter how tight we got the bolt in the middle they still kinda bowed.

My biggest gripe is the u-bolt/mounting bracket. It only accommodates larger diameters so it can be a real challenge (often resulting in us using a different u-bolt and drilling out the holes) to get it to fit snugly on a universal mount.

VLAN1 wrote:
i guess maybe ours were just poor quality. i just never liked the fact no matter how tight we got the bolt in the middle they still kinda bowed.

Which 17dB antennas were you using at the time???
being 8 miles away is REALLY pushing it

I disagree with 8 miles is really pushing it. We have several customers out over 20 miles using -13 Cushcraft ant, with no issues. they are getting 1 Meg up/down and we provide VoIP. Our longest shot is 24.75 miles, -74, 2-3 jitters, 900 Mhz.
We had a shot like junak states, and went though moving it all over the house with no help, we ended up lowering the ant/radio 18" and it has fixed the problem for the last 3 months.
Radio is 40% science, 50% experience, and 10% magic.

yah - I have a customer at 11.7 miles. I have him setup with the stock Maxrad panel antenna. He is on the fringe as far as numbers go, but it is pretty much a rock-solid link. Antenna is mounted right above the eave, less than 12’ above the ground. It is mostly open farm land…

If it ever gives me problems, I will put a M2 yagi on it.

Just me experience with 900MHz.

I have had issues with metal roofs!

Yeah- if you’re too low on a metal roof you’re more than likely going to experience some reflection that will destroy your link.