900SM - great connection, drops constantly

Good morning everyone. Just set this customer up Friday. P10 SM running V9 software, registering to a P9 AP running same software. 3 miles very near LOS.

Here is the report from the AP concerning the SM:

Software Version : CANOPY 9.0
Software Boot Version : CANOPYBOOT 1.0
FPGA Version : 061808 (DES, Sched, US/ETSIv1.3.1) P10
Session Timeout: 0, AirDelay 114 (approximately 3.17 miles (16758 feet))
Session Count: 487, Reg Count 231, Re-Reg Count 486, Session Uptime 00:00:13
Jitter (Avg/Last): 1/2 Power Level (Avg/Last): -61/-62
Sustained Uplink Data Rate (SM): 256 (kbit)
Uplink Burst Allocation (SM): 500000 (kbit)
Sustained Downlink Data Rate (SM): 256 (kbit)
Downlink Burst Allocation (SM): 500000 (kbit)
Low Priority Uplink CIR (SM): 20000 (kbps) Low Priority Downlink CIR (SM): 20000 (kbps)
Rate : VC 52 Rate 1X/1X

Now, like I said, it drops connection constantly. I have changed the antenna from a Maxrad panel (which also had a great connection numbers wise) to a M2 14dbi yagi. The above results are with the M2. I have also changed out the SM. I cannot stay connected with it long enough remotely to do anything useful.

The AP is on 915. I also can pick up a weaker signal on one of my other 2 APs (runnning 924). I may try it out on it.

Any suggestions?

does customer have a 900mhz phone or baby monitor? some 2.4 ghz phones also use 900mhz from handset to base station but 2.4 from base to handset.

Nope. Nothing but cel phones. I’m at a loss.

1. What does the SM spectrum analyzer graph (noise floor) look like?
    2) How about a link test?
    3) Does anyone else on the AP have re-reg issues?
    4) Have you RF balanced the SM’s connected to the AP?

Is there a structure, metal shed/building, other other physical obstruction near the antenna? Are you shooting over the roofline of the house?

1. What does the SM spectrum analyzer graph (noise floor) look like? 915 on the graph is nasty. there is something at or around -60 up and down 4 or 5 channels.
    2) How about a link test? down is terrible - about 40%, up is fine at 100
    3) Does anyone else on the AP have re-reg issues? no
    4) Have you RF balanced the SM’s connected to the AP? - yes

No metal buildings. SM is mounted on end of house facing the AP - 3 miles away.

I changed it to register to my AP at 924 instead. This is working for now, although the signal is weak, it gives 100 up and down.

Stupid question - is this spectrum reading from my AP on 915, or does the spectrum graph show results from the AP that it is registered to? Or is it interference from another source?

You are seeing your AP. -60 at the SM is pretty good.

40% down x 100% up indicates the SM cannot see the AP but the AP can see the SM.

So, I guess I need to move the SM or raise it, even though on 915 it connects at -65 or greater? I don’t get it.

I’m going to guess it’s a reflection, or a fresnel issue.

jakkwb wrote:
1) What does the SM spectrum analyzer graph (noise floor) look like? 915 on the graph is nasty. there is something at or around -60 up and down 4 or 5 channels.

That would explain your poor link tests and re-regs. As far as what is causing the interference that would require additional research. Have you run spectrum from the AP side?

I changed it to register to my AP at 924 instead. This is working for now, although the signal is weak, it gives 100 up and down.

What do you consider weak? What is the actual power level and jitter? Is it re-reg'ing?
jwelch wrote:
[quote="jakkwb":6lourn4m]1) What does the SM spectrum analyzer graph (noise floor) look like? 915 on the graph is nasty. there is something at or around -60 up and down 4 or 5 channels.

That would explain your poor link tests and re-regs. As far as what is causing the interference that would require additional research. Have you run spectrum from the AP side?[/quote:6lourn4m]

Not necessarily the case. If he didn't turn his AP off (which I highly suspect he did not) when he did the SA on the SM, he's going to see these kinds of levels, especially since his SM was registering around -60.

I've come across issues like this before - what would appear to be a "flawless" signal, yet the SM is in a constant state of re-reg'ing. Almost always they turned out to be interference local to the SM. Most of them were resolved by moving the SM.

The Fresnel issues I've come across start out with excellent signals that degrade steadily as leaves come back or moisture builds up. Reflection is also a definite possibility. It'll do crazy things to your SM. Your best bet is to do some testing with the SM - add some additional height, try different spots on the roof (just don't commit to anything until you've adequately tested all the possible locations!). You'll usually be able to find a solution.

Whats the max range at on the AP? Is that SM nearing the edge of the max range? If so, add +1 or 2 miles max range on the AP.

MAX range on the AP is set to 14 miles. Customer is at 3 miles. I went back today and actually aimed the M2 slightly to the right of the tower (not directly at it). I now get 100% up and down. Well, thats for today, anyway.

But, my 900 SM signals move all over the place. Today, I have great signals on this AP. There will be days when every SM signal strength reading is lower (weaker) like 10-20%.

Don’t know. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Good night.

You could be getting interference from HAM’s or anyone else using the 900MHz band. Your AP could also be crapping out. Is everything GPS synced?

Yah, GPS synced - all 3 APs. No other problems.

Do you have GPS coordinates you might share? You can PM me with them if you like and I can see about generating you a profile. It’d at least help isolate potential Fresnel issues.

jakkwb wrote:
MAX range on the AP is set to 14 miles. Customer is at 3 miles. I went back today and actually aimed the M2 slightly to the right of the tower (not directly at it). I now get 100% up and down. Well, thats for today, anyway.

But, my 900 SM signals move all over the place. Today, I have great signals on this AP. There will be days when every SM signal strength reading is lower (weaker) like 10-20%.

Don't know. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Good night.

Sounds to me like interference being received by the SM; you just steered the interference into a null in your antenna.
NoWirez wrote:
[quote="jakkwb":1hm9uzxo]MAX range on the AP is set to 14 miles. Customer is at 3 miles. I went back today and actually aimed the M2 slightly to the right of the tower (not directly at it). I now get 100% up and down. Well, thats for today, anyway.

Don't know. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Good night.

Sounds to me like interference being received by the SM; you just steered the interference into a null in your antenna.[/quote:1hm9uzxo]

So in you guys professional opinion, if pointing to get interference into a null, is this an acceptable permanant solution (assuming the interference is fixed wireless)
thatoneguysteve wrote:
So in you guys professional opinion, if pointing to get interference into a null, is this an acceptable permanant solution (assuming the interference is fixed wireless)

Short of installing an antenna with like a 2 degree beam width, yes. The yagis are 30 degrees if I recall correctly. What would not be a good idea is aiming so far off that you end up using something like the integrated SM's side lobe.