Advantage APs connect to Remote Classic Sm/Classic Aps???

We are currently running on classic aps and classic sms, however we just got a contract to provide internet to a remote area. I was thinking that i will just buy the advantage APs, and replace my main towers(the ones with the classic aps) to advantage aps and use the classic aps for my remote tower. Can i do this or do i have to upgrade all my APs to advantage in order for this to work, really need help on this one… I have a limited budget for now, so upgrading my entire network is not really an option. Thanks… I’m from the Philippines by the way…

let me rephrase it. Can Advantage APs be used to throw to a regular SM/AP remote tower?

ADVANTAGE AP======>REGULAR SM(REMOTE)=>REGULAR AP(REMOTE)

Is this possible? pls help… thanks

You will likely want to run your new Advantage AP’s in HW scheduling, and your classic AP’s have to run SW scheduling. You can run mixed but it will take some additional engineering.

What frequencies are your AP’s?

What is the distance from the current tower to the proposed tower?

How many AP’s on the proposed tower?

yes you can do it…

what version of software are you running on the classic AP’s are they P9’s (telnet into the them and do a “ver” this will tell you)

If P9 and on 7.3.6 you can switch them to H/W scheduling…

Bottom line is yes you can do it, we have a mix of P7 on Software on our remote locations, P9 7.3.6 software on main pops and are in the middle of upgrading the main pops to advantage.

However try to keep each pop consistent.

You will likely want to run your new Advantage AP's in HW scheduling, and your classic AP's have to run SW scheduling. You can run mixed but it will take some additional engineering.

What frequencies are your AP's?

What is the distance from the current tower to the proposed tower?

How many AP's on the proposed tower?

Currently our main tower is running on 5.7s while our remotes(we have two existing) are on 2.4s. All of them are regular APs. We are putting up two additional remote towers with 2 or 3 APs each. I'm thinking 5.7 also so i can replace the main tower with the new Advantage APs, while the Regular APs currently on the main towers will be used on the new remotes. How do i go about doing this sir? what additional engineering are we talking about here? Thanks sir...

Distance from main tower to proposed towers are 8 miles max.

By the way sir, if you will forgive my noobness. Whats the difference between hardware and software scheduling?

yes you can do it...

what version of software are you running on the classic AP's are they P9's (telnet into the them and do a "ver" this will tell you)

If P9 and on 7.3.6 you can switch them to H/W scheduling....

Bottom line is yes you can do it, we have a mix of P7 on Software on our remote locations, P9 7.3.6 software on main pops and are in the middle of upgrading the main pops to advantage.

However try to keep each pop consistent.

I'm not sure, i triet to telnet but it was asking for a login and password, the only password i have right now is for the AP GUI. Can't seem to contact our area retailer as of the moment, probably because its sunday.... I'll just let you know 2mrw. Thanks for the reply sir..

after you telnet the loginis >root
password is of course what ever you set it at.

what I have found is all ap’s that are sync together should be config the same.

You can run P-9’s and P-8’s together in software mode.

Hardware mode gives you the option of 2x mode( 10 meg down at the sm) plus 6ms latency instead of 23ms

The newer version works much better. We upgraded one ap at a time. It took a while to complete but it was worth it. you can use the cnut tool to up grade your sm’s to version 9
/---------'
C A N O P Y

Motorola Broadband Wireless Technology Center
(Copyright 2001-2005 Motorola Inc.)

Login: root
Password:
Telnet+> ver
Software Version : CANOPY 7.3.6 Oct 24 2005 12:06:56 AP-DES
Software Boot Version : CANOPYBOOT 3.0
FPGA Version : 070605
FPGA Features : Single, 40MHz ExtBus, DES, Sched
Frequency Band : 2.4GHz
Hardware Platform : 9
Hardware Minor Revision : 0
Device Type : CANOPY
MIR Cap : 7000 (kbit)
CIR Cap : 20000 (kbit)
Telnet+>

Ok thanks, all sms and aps in our network are now up to date…

However, we have decided on aquiring 2.4s for our remotes aps instead of the 5.7s which i had hoped. Now my question is, if we get advantage 2.4 aps for our remote while our main tower is only classic aps; will there be any issues?

CLASSIC/REGULAR 5.7AP>>>>CLASSIC/REGULAR SM>>ADVANTAGE 2.4AP

Will this work? Any issues i might be expecting if i do this? We will be upgrading our main tower to advantage but it will have to wait for next year. Please help guys, don’t want this to explode in my face… thanks…

With the main AP’s at 5.7 and the remotes in 2.4 there will be no problem at all.

Additional engineering is only needed when the AP’s are in the same band.

So Classic APs(Main) throwing to Advantage APs(Remote) no problem?

ask another way; As long as they are not in the same band, CLASSIC APS (Main) throwing at ADVANTAGE APs(Remote) no problem?

Right

Different band - no issue

Same Band - additional engineering/issues

ok thanks… :slight_smile: