Any Performance Benefit to Using Force 300 When Connecting to ePMP 1000 or 2000?

@ninedd wrote:

@Jacob Turner wrote:

@ninedd wrote:

@Mathew Howard wrote:

if eDetect could scan the whole band instead of just the channel the radio is using, I would be happy.

^^^ THIS ^^^

This is my #1 suggestion for ePMP.  It has been impossible to see what is interferring.  And eDetect is a good idea in theory, but obviously never asked an actual installer or telephone support tech what was needed.  If your radio is in 10Mhz at 2447 - eDetect needs to see an interferrer who is also on 10 Mhz wide channels at 2447 only... otherwise it'll say there are no interferrers.  So a 10Mhz client at 2442 is NOT interferring, and a 20 Mhz wide cleint at 2452 is NOT interferring... according to eDetect.

So - even if it was necessary for eDetect to unlink from the AP, do a scan for 3 minutes, and then reconnect to display it's rereults... that'd be awesome.  Right now - if a client calls in with a performance issue, and if we want to know if it's their router at their house, there is no way to tell that.

This is possibly the biggest issue I have with ePMP 1000/2000 gear.  Without a truck roll to the subscriber's house there is no way to know what might be interfering.  The ability to do a basic 802.11 site survey with this gear remotely would add huge value.

And this includes the Force300's really.  I mean - I know the Force300's have the beautiful spectrum Analyzer built in (which is fantastic) but even them... all the ePMP SM's need to be able to do normal standard WiFi Site Survey and just report what Routers/Channels/Widths are seen by the SM.

Well, the Force300 spectrum analyzer basically does include a WiFi site survery. I would like to have the ability to just display all the interferers in list form, so you could actually find stuff, but the information is all there.

Yes, for sure, I realize that. The Force300s SA is very very cool, and overlaying the WiFi devices is pretty neat.

But I’m just saying that even the F300’s still don’t do a just plain ol’ simple quick WiFi Site Survey.

Every device we’ve used for 20 years could show a list of WiFi devices nearby… and in 30 seconds you could tell Joe that his problem was the new router he bought, called dlink-ae34 which is on 2447 and 40mhz wide.

Going forward, we will probably only be buying Force 300, so this will be less of a problem that it has been. Having a second radio for site surveys on demand, that’s a very very useful feature.

@ninedd wrote:
Yes, for sure, I realize that. The Force300s SA is very very cool, and overlaying the WiFi devices is pretty neat.

But I'm just saying that even the F300's still don't do a just plain ol' simple quick WiFi Site Survey.

Every device we've used for 20 years could show a list of WiFi devices nearby... and in 30 seconds you could tell Joe that his problem was the new router he bought, called dlink-ae34 which is on 2447 and 40mhz wide.

Going forward, we will probably only be buying Force 300, so this will be less of a problem that it has been. Having a second radio for site surveys on demand, that's a very very useful feature.

Right, but just making an easily readable list of all the wifi devices that show up in the spectrum analyzer would amount to the same thing as a site survey, and I assume would be pretty simple to implement.

We actually had the same problem with Ubiquiti... even though it could do a wifi site survey, it only worked if you were using 20/40mhz channels. Since we had everything on 10mhz, you couldn't see any standard wifi stuff on a site survey. And of course anything that's not wifi based (like Canopy or airfiber/LTU) doesn't have that ability either. At least ePMP did have eDetect.