Anyone Elevate UBNT 2.4 yet?

Looking for some real world stats on this if anyone has done it. We have about 700 UBNT 2.4 CPEs out there. We run the 2.4ghz in 10mhz and can get about 10-15mb out of a sector. 

We've been trying to upgrade as many to PMP450 (900 or 365), but the cost of PMP450 has slowed us down. 

Just wondering if it is worth it to go the elevate route for now. 

Hi. Well, ever environment is different - so YMMV of course.  BUT, I can tell you this is the performance I get from home with my 2.4 Ghz gear in 10 Mhz wide channels.  This is approximately twice our experience with UBNT in 2.4 in the same location - both in the number of subscribers per sector, and the throughput per sector.

Of course, everyone's mileage will vary depending on a bunch of factors - but this is a place where we've used the identical sectors, just replaced the AP Radio and nothing else on the AP side - and using the same antennas on the client side, and in those places performance/capacity has about doubled.

From NetFlix's 'Fast.com' server.

Todd_10Mhz_FastDotCom_June22_17.png

And good ol' SpeedTest.net

5 Likes

We to had been seeing 10 to 15 mbps max on ubnt 2.4, no more than 10 subs an ap for stable operator. Cambium we are getting on average 2x that and plenty often 3x, I've got a lot of APs running in 10mhz mode with 30 plus subs and everyone is happy. Gps sync has allowed us to deploy 2 to 3x more APs resulting in even more capacity. Also your uplink rssi requirements will have a wider tolerance on the uplink thanks to gps sync. Everyone's experience will vary, but I've yet to hear of anyone who switched back to ubnt once they get a taste epmp :)

Edit: attached are screen shots of my person home cpe....  I'm connected to a sector with 21 other customers, 4 sectors on the tower and we are using gps reuse here.     We never could get ubnt 2.4 to work at this rssi, at all in a cluster. 

3 Likes

We have upgraded one lightly used AP to test the waters.

We seen a huge degradation in signal quality to the CPE.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this, or was it just a fluke?

We finally did our first 2.4 elevate on a sector with 20 customers. One of my techs is connected to this AP with a good signal (-55). He was usually getting 1.5mb to 5mb on the UBNT sector. Now he is getting 15-30mb. 15mb is in the little in the evening. I can't believe I am seeing that kind of speed from a 2.4 sector. 

Steve: I noticed that after we elevated the PowerBeam 2.4, the antenna was set to 25dbi, which would be correct for a 5ghz antenna, but not for a 2.4. Once I adjusted that the signal was about equal. 

1 Like

@ElbowWilham wrote:

We finally did our first 2.4 elevate on a sector with 20 customers. One of my techs is connected to this AP with a good signal (-55). He was usually getting 1.5mb to 5mb on the UBNT sector. Now he is getting 15-30mb. 15mb is in the little in the evening. I can't believe I am seeing that kind of speed from a 2.4 sector. 

Steve: I noticed that after we elevated the PowerBeam 2.4, the antenna was set to 25dbi, which would be correct for a 5ghz antenna, but not for a 2.4. Once I adjusted that the signal was about equal. 

Hi Elbow, 

Great to hear. What channel bandwidth are you using and how far are the subs? Also, what kind of noise floor do you have in this sector?

Thanks,

Sriram

What sectors are you guys using, Cambium or Ubiquiti? I have a Ubnt AC 2.4 above a cambium EPMP 2.4, but both are on Ubi sectors...I really need another 2-4db gain on my CPEs...

We are using 10mhz channels. Most of the subs are within 2 miles of the sector. 

1 Like