AP Co-location

I will look into those apps.
Thanks for the help everybody.

Like one other user stated, RF out discards are usually higher if you do not have enough control slot for all the users on that AP, especially a bunch of high bandwidth users. Try and set the control slots higher and see if you notice the amount of discards decrease

rculp, another thing to keep in mind is that while the 900MHz AP is capable of 4Mbps aggregate, SM’s registering in 1x mode could only see 2Mbps aggregate. Here’s a link test from one of our 900MHz SM’s in 1x mode that is roughly 1 mi. from the AP with trees in the path.

Downlink RATE: 1626368 bps
Uplink RATE: 605440 bps
Aggregate RATE: 2231808 bps
Pkt Xmt (Act/Exp): 106/0
Pkt Rcv (Act/Exp): 264/0

Downlink Efficiency: 100 Percent
Downlink Index (Act/Max): 100/100
Frag Count (Act/Exp): 6353/6353

Uplink Efficiency: 100 Percent
Uplink Index (Act/Max): 100/100
Frag Count (Act/Exp): 2365/2365

- Do your packages advertise a min. 2Mbps down?
- You could easily enable 2x on SM’s w/ power levels in the mid to high 60’s assuming your noise floor is low.

I am going to change the controls slots from 2 to 3 and see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wish I could get closer to the 200 advertised SM count on each AP.

50-60 Sm’s seems to be the max load for us.

200 is a theoretical limit and totally dependent on service speeds, traffic patterns, and junk traffic.

A few things you can do to increase your capacity:

1. On bridged SM’s be sure to enable the filters. You’d be surprised how much Multicast traffic can eat into your BW.
2. Set the sustained up and down to 1/2 or 3/4 of your advertised speeds and give them a 2000k download and 1000k upload burst. Wait to see who calls and then increase their burst capacities. Most people who just browse the Internet and check email never use more than 500k.
3. Install and MT router at the edge of your network and do rate shaping and PTP control, or better yet PPPoE with rate shaping.

Thanks Jerry,

I need to look into the PTP shaping.

Not to get too off subject but setting sustained speeds to 1/2 your advertised “up-to” plan… How does that affect those users that get their “gits and shiggles” as my purchasing agent would say, just running speed tests all day thinking that they can find problems with their speeds?

If they call you bump em back up. you can change all of your radios and 10% might notice.

One other ting I didn’t mention is to monitor all SM’s and look at the usage patterns. Typically you will find one or two hogs using 60% of the bandwidth.

amd phreak wrote:
How does that affect those users that get their "gits and shiggles" as my purchasing agent would say, just running speed tests all day thinking that they can find problems with their speeds?

Common speedtests just run for few minutes and (if you configure Burst Allocation correctly) you can have them running at the burst speed.

e.g. we have a "2048/512 Mbps plan" that we configure this way:
Sustained Uplink Data Rate : 256
Sustained Downlink Data Rate : 1024
Uplink Burst Allocation : 160000
Downlink Burst Allocation : 500000

One user must be continuosly downloading > 100 Mbytes at the maximum speed (2 Mbps) in order to have the limiter starting to slow the connection at 1 Mbps.
Speedtests run normally at 2 Mbps.

P.S. Jerry is right. You will be surprised looking at user usage. 5-10% of users (the same ones) use 80% of your bandwidth (large downloads, P2P, streaming).

Interesting. I will give this a shot on our busiest AP’s and see what happens.

One user must be continuosly downloading > 100 Mbytes at the maximum speed (2 Mbps) in order to have the limiter starting to slow the connection at 1 Mbps.

Burst buckets that big will rarely empty. Consequently all of your users are running wide open all the time.

Realistically, 16000k (2MB) to 40000k (5MB) is plenty to allow a speedtest to complete before the bucket empties and sustained limits kick in.
Jerry Richardson wrote:

Burst buckets that big will rarely empty. Consequently all of your users are running wide open all the time.

Jerry
I have (few) customers constantly downloading from rapidshare.com all day long.
They easily achieve 5 GByte of traffic every day :-(
In these cases it's not difficult to empty the bucket...

Solution there is to implement BW caps.

First time they go over and the bill is 10x the regular rate, they will adjust their usage or go somewhere else (not necessarily a bad thing)