AP Consolidation

Hello forum, I have a quick question about a deployment I’m nearly ready to carry out - however I have some basic questions and looking for recommendations on doing this deployment effectively.

We currently have a total of 12 AP’s at a property, all with different SSID’s, and my goal is to consolidate these into 1, and implement ePSK . I’m familiar with “ePSK” because I primarily use DPSK for Ruckus. So I understand the concept to some degree.

We have a Mikrotik Router currently at this property, along with a cambium cloud switch (managed). I understand end-users will have downtime when we convert over but here’s some questions:

1. Will I have to manually configure (door to door) these AP’s (cnPilot e430H) to achieve the above goal
  2. Is there an alternative to maybe taking down a unit by unit , rather than the whole network - to achieve the above goal? (I assume not, since I’d be starting from scratch rebuilding this network)

What is the best way of doing this?

Kristopher, You should not have to visit each unit to configure them. I assume your Cambium switch is an EX20xx of some model, and you are managing the switch and your AP’s in cnMaestro (either on-prem or cloud cnMaestro), you can configure an AP group in cnMaestro with the configuration parameters, and WLAN’s you want. Then apply the switch group to each e430 AP in cnMaestro, and the new configuration will be pushed out to the AP’s. When you create an AP group, you can onboard new cnPilot gear right into that AP group, and the configuration will be pushed out to the AP.

1 Like

Hi,

1. ePSK is part of wlan configuration

2. WLANs are part of AP groups

3. Devices mapped to AP groups

You can edit eixisting WLAN group and push the configuration or create new WLAN and attach AP group and push the configuration to APs

If all the APs are part of same AP group, configuration push is one time activity.

1 Like

Dhcp servers do not assign VLAN’s. You would have previously created the VLAN’s as interfaces in the router, then create a dhcp server for those interfaces, so the dhcp server assigns the ip address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS.

1 Like