ap gateway

Hi,
is it possible leave the AP without the gateway?
I have some problem with the DNS in the SM, even if i put one into the SM it isn’t able to translate the addresses…

Thanks

Huh?

Unless you are using NAT translation in the SMs, then the only purpose the IP addresses serve is for management.

yes in the sm i’m using NAT, so in the AP can i put a gateway 0.0.0.0 and use it only as a bridge?

The APs already serve as a bridge. If you set the gateway in the AP to 0.0.0.0 then you’ll lock yourself out of the equipment. The only way you’ll beable to access the web interface is from the same subnet of the AP.

In the NAT configuration of the SM, the default gateway needs to be the router that your Canopy deployment is connected to.

For one of my AP clusters, that is the Cisco router that the T1 terminates to. The router then has an Ethernet interface that the CMM is plugged into. The default gateway on all of my Canopy equipment and any customer equipment (since I do not use SM NAT) is the IP address of the Ethernet interface of the Cisco router.

Does that make sence?

In your core network router, set up 2 IP networks (Cisco router can handle more than one IP network)

Network #1 are your public routable IP addresses, Network #2 are your private non-routable IP addresses

example:
Public Network (Class C)

Private Network (Class B)

Set up a computer with remote access. This can be a Winows computer with VNC, a Windows Server with Remote Desktop, or a Linux computer with Remote Access such as VNC. In this computer install a Network card that will allow you to bind multiple IP addresses to it.

Give the computer one of your public IP addresses, and one of the private IP addresses. We use 10.0.1.100 for our Windows 2003 Server. This computer will allow you to access your network by starting a a remote session, and then access your private network through MSIE or Firefox.

If you are inside the network, then you can just type in the Private IP address into your browser and access the device.

Set up your Canopy Network as follows
10.0.1.2-252: CMM’s, Switches, Backhauls, etc
10.0.2.1: AP #1
>10.0.2.2-252: SM’s under AP #1
10.0.3.1: AP #2
>10.0.3.2-252: SM’s under AP #2
10.0.4.1: AP #3
>10.0.4.2-252: SM’s under AP #3
etc

For each device under the Private nework:
10.0.1.1: Gateway
255.255.0.0: Subnet Mask