AP Lost It's Mind - Interesting

I just want to tell you about a recent experience.

I had a few 2.4 APs sent away to be converted to Cyclones - the 2450-360.15 ones. One of which I put at the 170 ft mark of a 200 ft tower, cross-face mount, standing off 3 ft. There were some issues with the customers’ battery charger at site and therefore we had the Cyclone (and a 5.2 BH) plugged into the wall. During this there was some lightning and power problems - via SNMP I am notified that the AP (but not the BH) rebooted a couple of times, and then I lost connectivity to it. A 3 hour drive later and…

I get to site to see that the radio has power, ethernet link on teh switch. I fire up my laptop and try to access the radio - nothing. Hmmm… I try the default just for fun. And there it is. Only… hmmmm… that’s odd, it has all default settings (everywhere) and it says it’s an SM… and no check box on the config page to slect between AP and SM. I look at the event log and see these lines…

src/common/psos_wrap.c : Line 661 sm_v() OSSemPost failed, err 4 (saw this one a lot)

But most interesting are…

src/sysvars.c : Line 112 Parameter Save Failed: Error Programming Parameter Block 1
src/sysvars.c : Line 123 Parameter Save Failed: Parameters Set to Default Values

The reboot before shows AP-DES and the reboot after shows SM-DES Very strange indeed.

After sending the appropriate info, Motorola gets me a key to turn it back into an AP, it works fine now. But very strange.

Aaron

how was that key put in the radio ftp/telnet/?

When Last Mile Gear does an upgrade, they change a bit of software for their logos and such, probably corrupted it when downloading it.

Oh Silly, it’s just branding - we do the same with some of our SMs. Just a simple jpg upload for the web engine. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aaron

share the info!!!

Ummmm… which info?

Aaron

how did you apply the key to turn it back into an AP? ftp, telnet?

Oh, sorry. It was an html link with the AP’s IP address in it - execute the link and the AP is ready to go.

Aaron

how did you ask moto for it?

well just for the heck of it why dont you take that link and another sm and change the ip in the unit to match the url and see if it will change that sm to a ap also.

kmeadows

kmeadows wrote:
well just for the heck of it why dont you take that link and another sm and change the ip in the unit to match the url and see if it will change that sm to a ap also.

kmeadows

something interesting.. =D

or maybe the link is applicable only to that certain ESN of Canopy.

Can we try the link? =D
AMDXtreme wrote:
[quote="kmeadows":1itnhhvf]well just for the heck of it why dont you take that link and another sm and change the ip in the unit to match the url and see if it will change that sm to a ap also.

kmeadows

or maybe the link is applicable only to that certain ESN of Canopy. =D[/quote:1itnhhvf]

I thought of both. I will give it a try this week and let you know. If it does work, it really limits any chance of warranty or tech support on the SM. :lol:

Aaron

acherman,

mind sharing me the link please?

i got some SMs to try then… thanks.

mind sharing me the link please?

I'll try it first. But I can't imagine that it will work on just any old SM - Motorola has to be smarter than that. :lol:

Aaron

You are right about that. AP’s can do both, SM’s can’t.

Different hardware

actually every chip in the sm’s are the same that i can tell as the ap’s i think it is just a firmware issue.

I find that hard to believe. I’ll have to open them up.

mmm… pingggggggg…

this sounds interesting…

AP, SM, BH is the same hardware. Only different firmware.

Well I’ll be damned. Talk about leveraging your engineering