AP Scan Question

Hello All,

Suddenly I have been experiencing issues with customers losing association to one of my 2.4 AP’s that has an omni on it. It has been fine for several years, and now all of a sudden customers are going in and out all day. I, today, created a timing cable and connected it between my GH20 and the AP to get timing from a cmm 7 miles away, but that did not solve the problem. In many of the SM’s in the field, if you do an AP scan, i get the following result…

Current entry index: 0

Index: 0 Frequency: 2457.05 MHz ESN: 0a-00-3e-20-8a-69 United States (RC: 2 CC: 2)
Jitter: 2 RSSI: 901 Power Level: -69 Beacon Count: 64 BRcvW: 1 FECEn: 0
Type: Multipoint Avail: 1 Age: 0 Lockout: 0 RegFail 308 Range: 29008 feet TxBER: 1 EBcast: 0
Session Count: 78 NoLUIDS: 0 OutOfRange: 0 AuthFail: 1 EncryptFail: 0 Rescan Req: 0
FrameNumber: 1284 SectorID: 0 Color Code: 15 BeaconVersion: 1 SectorUserCount: 23
NumULHalfSlots: 26 NumDLHalfSlots: 41 NumULContSlots: 5

Index: 1 Frequency: 2415.00 MHz ESN: 0a-00-3e-20-8a-69 United States (RC: 2 CC: 2)
Jitter: 6 RSSI: 1828 Power Level: -47 Beacon Count: 63 BRcvW: 1 FECEn: 0
Type: Multipoint Avail: 0 Age: 2 Lockout: 0 RegFail 0 Range: 0 feet TxBER: 1 EBcast: 0
Session Count: 0 NoLUIDS: 0 OutOfRange: 0 AuthFail: 0 EncryptFail: 0 Rescan Req: 0
FrameNumber: 1617 SectorID: 0 Color Code: 15 BeaconVersion: 1 SectorUserCount: 24
NumULHalfSlots: 26 NumDLHalfSlots: 41 NumULContSlots: 5

My AP is the first in the list on 2457.5. The second shows as 2415, but if you look carefully the MAC for the second is the same as the first. Can my AP really be broadcasting on 2415 and 2457.5 at the same time, or are the SM’s confusing another AP in the field. I just don’t understand. Help would greatly be appreciated…

Normally what happens if you changed freq to get away from the noise, the sm unit has both freq. stored. You can reboot the sm and start over or refresh should clear the other Ap.

I would change the Ap into an sm long enough to run a spectrum test, You may have someone else in the area, either not timed or walking over you. This is the one big draw back of an Omni

You could also take an sm unit put it in alinment mode and see any 2.4 cylones in the area.

I took a new P10 SM and replaced it on one of my customers having an issue. It too also sees the same thing as posted above… the same ap on two different freq’s. It just doesnt make sense to me. More than half of my subscribers on that AP are experiencing various levels of this problem.

Have you ran a spectrum test?

try turning one of the APs off. maybe you bought two SMs that were “converted” to APs by some unscrupulous dealer.

There is no other AP to power down. It is just one, appearing to some SM’s as two. If you notice, the MAC is the same, but shows a different freq. A spectrum test shows little out there other than my AP

That’s wierd. If its showing up on all your SMs even after you reboot them then you may have some sort of AP failure.

turn ap into sm and do ap evaluation from there…