Ask the Experts: 3 WISPs from North America May 20th

almost the same on our 900 pmp 100 stuff, i can't wait for the new 450 in 900 mhz.  

we've been lucky enough to move about half to epmp or 320 over time. just can't touch the 900's reach. 

@Chris_Bay wrote:

almost the same on our 900 pmp 100 stuff, i can't wait for the new 450 in 900 mhz.  

we've been lucky enough to move about half to epmp or 320 over time. just can't touch the 900's reach. 

I'm curious what you're using for 900MHz antennas now on both the AP and SM's... and I'm curious what you'll be using for the PMP450 gear that's coming out. From what I understand both AP and SM will be connectorized 2x2. The only 2x2 yagi antenna I've been able to find is made by UBNT.

who does everyone use for their upstream interfaces and how have your experiences been with them?

I know it's not my question, but we use a lot of Stingers, Super Stingers, Hyperlink Yagi's, or HyperLink/L-Com grids.

@Chris_Bay wrote:

who does everyone use for their upstream interfaces and how have your experiences been with them?

We use two local providers.... the local cable incumbant, and a local CLEC. We get gig conncetions from both. We pay a couple bucks a mbps.

@Eric Ozrelic wrote:

@Chris_Bay wrote:

I'm curious what you're using for 900MHz antennas now on both the AP and SM's... and I'm curious what you'll be using for the PMP450 gear that's coming out. From what I understand both AP and SM will be connectorized 2x2. The only 2x2 yagi antenna I've been able to find is made by UBNT.

our APs are all integrated, SMs are a mix of mostly integrated and we use ZDI 17.5 to clean up if the integrated units are having path problems. 

I don't know of any other 2x2 900 yagis either. the UBNT units are huge and a little strange looking. I'm sure they will have a few diffrent options for us. 

I'll probably stick to the prescribed 450 antennas unless something new comes out. definitely hope the basestations are x pole, we have 1 site with double 900 clusters, 1 of them vertical and the FSK in vertical gets cranky easy.  (and double clusters wasn't out best idea, it was a pain to get synced out and running right. CPEs with path problems was a nightmare) 

We tap into a couple fiber drops in neighboring towns and backhaul to our office using PTP800's and Apex9's.  We are in the process of adding a gig fiber circuit to our door.  The pathes out to the neighboring towns are 2+0 and redundant.

@Ben Royer wrote:

I know it's not my question, but we use a lot of Stingers, Super Stingers, Hyperlink Yagi's, or HyperLink/L-Com grids.

i've never used the L-Com grids, how well do you like those?

@Eric Ozrelic wrote:

@Chris_Bay wrote:

We use two local providers.... the local cable incumbant, and a local CLEC. We get gig conncetions from both. We pay a couple bucks a mbps.

ATT is dominate around here, runs about $5 a meg

Most of ours are the Hyperlink prior to being L-Com, but they work great.  Great penetration, solid performance.  They also have a pretty good life span, a few very old ones may get water in the feed horn, but otherwise they are a good antenna.

Oversubscription:

I may have worded the questions incorrectly. I did not mean I wanted a blanket answer for an AP or specific number for others to use in their design, I meant to ask:

What is your overall average bandwidth ratio you see on your systems (your total amount of advertised bandwidth / the bandwidth you actually see used at peak times)? The peak use I see on my system is currently 14:1. That is not my capacity, that is just the bandwidth use I actually see at this time.

-Chris

I guess I would have to clarify what you mean by 'advertised' bandwidth.  As in what your current subscribers are signed up for vs. what your peak is?

Do you allow the customer any access to their AP or AP stats? If totally locked out, how do you do on-site service calls?

[I currently lock them out, but it makes site visits difficult.]

Thanks - Chris

@Ben Royer wrote:

I guess I would have to clarify what you mean by 'advertised' bandwidth.  As in what your current subscribers are signed up for vs. what your peak is?

Yes, the amount the customer signs up for vs the peak use (averaged over the whole system).

Customers are locked out of their SM via credentials, our technicians are not.

I am sure that Ben, Chris, and Eric will continue with any additional questions. They are regular contributors to the Community. If you are new to the Community, we invite you to browse the topics and interact with many of the other great network operators here.

A very special thanks to our three presenters. 

We will take a break for Memorial Day next week. Our next Ask the Experts session will be on Synchronization on June 03. Check back for details on this session.

1 Like

@uberdome wrote:

Do you allow the customer any access to their AP or AP stats? If totally locked out, how do you do on-site service calls?

[I currently lock them out, but it makes site visits difficult.]

Thanks - Chris

customers are locked out of everything.  techs can get in thier notebooks and see SM information, the AP information is checked and noted before a tech is sent for us. 

1 Like

I would have to pull a log for what our total subscriber combined speed plans are, but we typically don't track that, we typically pay more attention to frame utilization and bandwidth usage on each AP.

1 Like

Thanks everybody for participating! See you on the forums!

1 Like

I'll have to pull data for that information as well, we normally don't track that stat either.   just check to make sure the network is not bottle necked and keep building.